Originally Posted by KJP
I came across this older post and I was wondering if any of the posters noticed a decline in the amount of movement as their kids got older.

I was also wondering if you ever discussed OE's with your kid's teachers. I got a copy of Living with Intensity and I thought about sharing it with his K teacher.

I don't want to come off as saying "my kid is so smart he has some undesirable behaviors". Like OE's are the gifted excuse. At the same time I would like them to understand that being in the 99.9% has more implications than just being "smart".

I keep seeing that the Psychomotor OE is often misdiagnosed as ADHD. Has anyone had that happen? How did you or your doctor know it was one and not the other? Combined with possible asynchronous development it seems like it would be very tricky to figure out.

Sorry for all the questions. My kid was a handful yesterday and had me considering his request to be released into the wild. (Just kidding)
We have this issue with dd5. I have done a lot of thinking and reading about ADHD (I have it, but without the "H" and without the psychomotor OE, but dd5 was adopted so no genetic link) and I just don't believe that it is ADHD, and so far psychomotor OE seems the best explanation. I am nervous about K and struggling with what to write in the letter parents can give to school. 2 pediatricians clearly noticed her high energy level and I can imagine them suggesting a diagnosis. She seems to keep it under wraps in school (or did at her Montessori school) but then it is even more, intense, at home. I am praying for the right teacher. In the meantime physical exercise helps. I think gymnastics will be really good for her especially as she is taught at a higher level that requires greater concentration and focus. In the meantime, it is exhausting, and a mismatch, in terms of energy level, and I feel bad because I know she can't help it--but it drives me crazy.