Originally Posted by La Texican
Disclaimer: I get all my opinions off reading the Internet.

That cracked me up!

Thank you, everyone, for your great responses. I agree that it is way too early to make such a sweeping statement. I believe the psychologist was just trying to prepare me. I don't think she was saying "definitely no school will ever work"... just that it is a possibility and we should be mentally prepared for that possibility. We are all hopeful that the new preschool in the fall will work out well. It's a pre-k, and most the kids will be about a year older than him - so maybe that will be a good thing.

He hasn't had a full IQ test yet. He did have a gifted screening to get into this new school. He was very bored with it and didn't even finish a couple of the subtests - but he still hit the ceilings for their scoring. They say their screening correlates well with the IQ tests they use for kindergarten on up - but I'm sorry that I don't even know the name of this screening test or the IQ test that they use.

He is very intense, and has been intense since literally day 1. I am sure his personality type would be difficult in some situations no matter his intellectual ability. But having both the intensity/strong will/self-drive that he has in addition to being so far ahead of his age-mates just spells out trouble in a lot of academic settings.

Maybe he'll mellow out a bit with age. Like you all say, this child is only three fer cryin' out loud!