Hi,
My dd, 9 (almost 10) used to love to read. She began reading at two and was reading chapter books at 4. She loved reading...She read all The American Girls Books in first Grade and the Harry Potter Books in second...I would have to tell her to stop at night.

At the end of third grade she scored a 79 on her DRP and at the beginning of 4th, she scored an 81....That indicates that she can read and comprehend beyond a highschool level.

She has not enjoyed reading at ALL since finishing the Harry Potter Series and entering public school. She will. She will read and she will read the bare minimum requirement for school. She has a hard time finding books she likes even after many suggestions from friends.

She has landed on "The Cat Who" Series by Lillian Jackson Braun.....but she is reading them so slowly. Like one a month.

So, they told all the kids their DRP numbers and then traslated them to Lexile numbers during library. She was told she was a 1210 Lexile. Now, she is supposed to pick books that are withing 100 points of her Lixile.

I think that the teacher wouldn't even notice if she were 400 points below it, but she believes that she has to choose these high level books. I think that maybe, the pressure of having to read at such a high level and being told that she is so far above grade level has turned her off completely to reading. The whole thing with keeping logs of books she is reading and HAVING to read 20 minutes a day has totally taken the joy out of it.

I EVEN ignore the reading log...I sign it every week without checking what she read. I told her that I know she reads enough on her own and enjoys it enought that I'm not going to make her do the log and to just put the book she is reading on it with a 20 minutes next to it for every day and I would sign it...

BUT lately, I have to ASK her to read the book before I sign it BECUZ she can't write "The Cat Who" on her log for the rest of the year and she hasn't actually been reading it....Ugh..

So, how does a kid who reads sooooo high, decide they don't like reading....?

A little about her....she is a writer...perfect scores on state tests in writing...perfect prompts and good spelling...

This year she has been interested in Math and started Math Olympiads. Mayby she is just shifting her interests...but really, she hasn't been even ramotely interested in a book in a year and a half...or TWO! *except this book called "dreams" that teaches you how to interpret dreams..

Anyway, anyone else have a way above grade level reading kid who doesn't enjoy reading?

Thank you