Another mom of a 2e dysgraphic kid here - our ds is 12 now, but what you wrote sounds so much like our ds' early school years before we knew about his dysgraphia (he has an expressive language challenge also). Rather than writing it all out, I'll just say "ditto" to everything K's Mum said smile If I had *anything* I could do over again (and there is very little I would ever really care about doing over again!) it would be to not think my ds wasn't trying back then. It sounds like you're way ahead of where we were in that you're aware of potential challenges. If I was in your place right now, I think I'd focus on giving my 5 year old all the fun and interesting things *he* wanted to do after school at this point in time and downplay schoolwork at home. Keep watching for and trying to understand what's up at school, but at 5 - he's going to be find his motivation and pride in his work eventually, but he may be just a little bit young for it at the moment. Most important to me would be to determine if he has any challenges going on, to try and understand that before they cause more frustration for him.

Best wishes,

polarbear