Hi
DS 5 has had writing issues and will be getting an evalaution in school so I know some of this is related to that but any thoughts on how to deal with this is appreciated. Although not sure there is anything here! smile

DS brings home a worksheet with different types of animals - he was supposed to circle some, x out others to distinguish them. He was also supposed to find and color pictures hidden in a bigger picture. DS basically scribbles over everything instead of even trying to color in the lines. But he did correctly circle and x out. So he did it right but its a mess. I know some of this is the writing issue. But my mom gut thinks its more about his attitude about the assignment - just do it quickly so he can go back to thinking his great thoughts or whatever else he gets to do when finished in school. With actual writing assignments, he keeps saying but I don't like it, and I finally got frustrated and said it doesnt matter, you just have to do it.

I think what bothers me is that lack of pride and willingess to do the "job" correctly. Same thing with drawings of people - bare minimum so still stick figures, sometimes I have to ask for fingers and hair. But again, not because he can't but because he doesn't want to and doesnt think its important. Or he is just masking how hard all this is for him?

So far school is interesting for him but not challenging. The homework is extensive but only a problem because he doesnt want to write.

So partly I think I am being ridiculous for being concerned that he doesnt try to make nice drawings or color nicely, but on the other hand, is this something that needs to be dealt with, the its not interesting to me so I can put no effort into it part?

DeHe