Originally Posted by DeHe
Hi
I think what bothers me is that lack of pride and willingess to do the "job" correctly. Same thing with drawings of people - bare minimum so still stick figures, sometimes I have to ask for fingers and hair. But again, not because he can't but because he doesn't want to and doesnt think its important. Or he is just masking how hard all this is for him?

As a mother of a child with dysgraphia, I can look back on the year of torture that was grade primary and completely relate to your post. At that time, we had no idea what was up. She had not been dx's with ADHD and dyslexia and dysgraphia, yet. To me, she seemed like the most unmotivated, lazy smart child in the world. I wanted to pull out my hair. There was nothing I could do to convince her that work should be done to the best of her ability. She seemed to 'not care' about anything. Four years later, with all of her diagnoses known, she is quick to tell us (and often) how horrible that year of school was for her. She could occasionally do what was expected, but the amount of concentration and effort that went into the easist of tasks was so overwhelming that she chose to not even try rather than try and fail.

I wish I could go back and reparent her in that year of her life. I feel like I let her down. I should have been helping her instead of nagging her constantly. In my defense, I had no clue about any of her diagnoses. She really and truly presented like a lazy, uninterested child. If you ask her today what we, as parents, could have done differently... she says that we could have praised her more for the efforts she did make and recognize how hard she worked to do the little that she did.

Just my two cents, as a 2e Mommy.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery