Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
absolutely everyone has the right th their belief, even the non believers wink I don't expect kids to be quiet exactly, but I guess I wish parents would stress that everyone has different ideas about it, that's fine... My kids believe...I guess I wish other kids would just say "I don't believe" and not things like "Santa is your parents." Just like I don't argue with religious people...
Well, this is a tricky area. What you have to understand is that what some of us believe is that truth is important. I don't go out looking for arguments with religious people, but if they ask, or if they make an assertion in front of me that I don't agree with, I'm going to say what I think and I'm not going to hedge it round with "but your views are equally valid" if I don't think that. In this case, there's really no doubt about the truth - "Santa" is your parents, and the kids who are being brought up to think otherwise are being lied to. Now, in our society, this kind of lie falls in the category of things that parents are legally permitted to do to their children. That doesn't mean, however, that other parents have to think it's OK, morally. There are many things that parents are permitted to do to their children that I personally think are morally wrong, and actually, this is one of them. This is why, while I have tried - for his sake and his friends' sakes - to make sure that DS is aware that other people's parents may have lied to them, and why, and that they might be upset if he told them the truth, I'm not willing to go further than that to accommodate those people.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail