Ohh the God discussions in school were really difficult. My kiddo was told she was going to go to hell and all the terrible things that were going to happen to her. She retaliated with a lot of logical reasonable answers but she was hurt. Her friends were really scared for her and it was a terrible time for a bit in the classroom. The Santa thing is so hard. I think respect has to be in every conversation, but kids are kids and are needing to learn how to do that...from both those who believe to those who don't. The kids I think get to battle it out between themselves if it is respectful. I have found some parents astonishingly disrespectful to my child's innocent respectful statements that I think their behavior only further confirmed my kiddos beliefs. I think bright children are often asked to be quiet. "let the other kids have an opportunity to answer..." or their answers are to complicated for the kind of question asked. I think there is a difference between a religious difference and the difference about something that ultimately will be discovered to not exist. If the kids get to spend time talking about Santa this and Santa that... a non-believing child should not have to be dishonest about their views. IMHO if my kiddo can influence a child not to believe then that child was ready not to believe. I am not advocating for my child or a non-believing child to go on a crusade to convert kids, but just equal space in the dialogue. I am also talking about kids that are around the same age and are interacting as peers.

I love what Butter said about the Greek Gods. My kiddo went through a time that she would have said exactly the same thing. She really wanted to believe in the Greek Gods for a bit and Hogwarts and and and....