Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
[quote=epoh]
I think it really comes down to a question of whether you believe in magic or not. I have no problem admitting I do. My kids do too. Butter is waiting for that Hogwarts letter, they build fairy houses outside at every opportunity and wouldn't DREAM of touching the elf. They also believe (but are not scared of) witches, werewolves, vampires, zombies, etc...I think a fantasy life and magic are just as important as other things we fill our children with, that their creativity and imaginations need nurturing too...

My mom believes in ghosts, and demons, and angels, and just about anything else you can think of (UFOs). As a child, I also believed; and for me, it WAS scary. I appreciate the magic of Christmas, but I don't see a benefit to pretending fake scary things actually exist. I certainly would have preferred to grow up more founded in reality.

Also, when my bipolar sister began cutting herself as a teenager she told my mother that a demon cut her in her sleep. My mom believed her, and thus my sister didn't get the help she needed as early as she should have.