Wookiemouse,

Is Profoundly gifted a diagnosis? or just who he is? I'm asking because he sounds sooo much like my DS did as a little guy. I totally understand where you're at and how you feel. Rewards never worked, all motivation for him had to be internal. "Because I said so" was a complete waste of air. If the reason made sense, he'd comply. As a toddler it was speculated that he was autistic, when that fell through the cracks, aspergers was considered. At 8, he is none of those, just "wicked smart".

I've already posted this twice today on other threads, but what does your "mommy gut" tell you? Do you see any behaviors when he is truly engaged, chasing his current passion? That gut feeling, what is it telling you? The tantrums, emotional explosions and such are fairly common for PG'lets. mamy people believe that a childs EQ mirrors their IQ. I tend to agree with that statement based on who I live with.

For what it's worth, my son watches "How it's made" constantly. Why does there have to be a "diagnosis" because he doesn't like cartoons and finds his age peers boring? If that IQ number is valid, he should! Instead of looking for a diagnosis, step back, and really try to figure out what he needs. Have him tested. All information helps paint a picture.

Profoundly gifted is not something that can be cured or medicated away. But it can be managed and reveled in once you know what you are looking at!

What state are you in? Send me a PM (private message)if you don't want it public or if you have a million other questions.

Tell your son to watch "Through the Wormhole" he will love it!

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!