This is a great book: Different Minds by Diedre Loveky. She describes what ADHD and Aspergers looks like in gifted kids versus non gifted. She clearly describes the difference between a gifted child with ADHD versus a gifted child with Aspergers and how they look different from children with average intelligence with these diagnoses.

Personally, I would not worry about the diagnosis unless perhaps one was medicating the wrong thing. I don't know if you are familiar yet with the term 2e, twice exceptional? It means gifted with an issue such as Aspergers, ADHD, a learning disability, etcetera.

I've found that even though behaviors are under control, things change with developmental spurts. Also, if the child is in public school, you never know when you might need an accommodation, IEP, Individual Education Plan. To go through and get the diagnosis again would be a hassle.

My child is PG with a diagnosis of sensory processing disorder, then ADHD, and now anxiety. We have had good years and bad years. We have done, therapy, diet, non drug interventions, counseling, and medication, and all approaches have served their purpose.

For example, 4 was a tough year, and so was 6.5 to 7, but year 8 was really bad, but whatever was going on then we got under control with diet and therapy for almost two years, but then ten came along and now it is something else. But you know, all the years I didn't mention were great; I enjoyed the brilliance.

Did you check the Davidson site to see if you already had the required tests for their organization? http://www.davidsongifted.org/young...holars___Qualification_Criteria_384.aspx

If not, and you think he is close, then maybe you should see someone on the list above for testing and another opinion. That is what we did, but whole picture is really important. I save all the documentation and opinions because I never know when they will be helpful.