Hello bbq797. Does your school have a gifted coordinator you can talk to about getting some differentiation for your son? Kinder teachers have their hands full, and it would be helpful if someone at the school can help out with differentiation ideas/materials/pullouts. That might be a good route to investigate if a skip isn't an option. And with the writing, it may not be. First grade is many times a very writing-centric year, and I think that would be hard for a kid who wants no part of it.

My DS7 had the same issue with handwriting. For us, I'm pretty sure it started out as a perfectionist thing, since around age 2 he was forming letters and excited about it, but then things didn't turn out how he wanted and so he refused to try to write anymore. We felt kindy was a perfect place for learning to write. He is still behind in writing as a grade-skipped 3rd grader, but he can write very neatly if he tries, and this year his writing is much, much better. I suspect part of it is developmental, and part of it is lack of practice and also trying to write too fast. But it took until this year for me to see any real improvement.