Originally Posted by doclori
I don't see DH agreeing to a skip no matter what the Iowa scale says. He believes in science and understands the research, but he can't get over the idea of how small my (1st percentile for height) kid would be in a class 2 years older.

Anecdote alert: a small-for-age boy in my son's second grade class skipped first grade, and he had a late fall birthday. He was a lot smaller than everyone else in the class, but they all accepted him. Young kids can be very accepting if the grownups all said that this is the way we're doing this.

Suggestion: How would your husband feel about letting your son try the next grade for a week? That way no one is biting off a whole skip at once.

If DS comes home happier, your husband's concerns might ease. Alternatively, if DS hates life in the higher grade, he'll be less unhappy in first grade.

To be fair to the teacher, she's offering a skip. So it sounds like she gets it.

You could also remind your husband, in a very diplomatic way, that he seems to basing his no-skip stance on an arbitrary reason that bothers him and may not bother your son. He may also be ignoring the fact that his son is very unhappy. But don't say it that way! Find a less direct way. Here's one: sometimes kids who are forced to do or not do things for arbitrary reasons feel very resentful, and often for a long time.

HTH