My DD9 is also in the same boat, 5th grade, but needing middle school math. She is taking a virtual math class, but it is mainly done online. She does have a real teacher, with real office hours for my daughter to call and talk to her, she can also video conference her. During these conferences, my daugher is able to see the teacher's computer and interact her with while she demonstrates math problems. At the end of each chapter, the teacher schedules a one on one phone conference where she quizes my DD about chapter concepts in a conversational way to make sure my DD is actually doing the work herself.

We love it! So far, I have been nothing but extremely impressed. There has been no video/audio issues, but as I mentioned this is more a one on one type instruction versus my DD observing a classroom. I really like the idea of my DD being able to go at her own speed versus the speed of the classroom.

It sounds like your child will have an advantage of being able to watch an actual lesson from the teacher. Will your daughter be able to communicate with the classroom or will she just be able to listen? As you mentioned your DD is very outgoing and group oriented, but remember this is just one class. My DD is very social too, but loves the one on one time that comes from the teacher and still has plenty of time for friends in all her other classes. Do you think this style of learning would work for your DD?