Originally Posted by MidwestMom
We're in a similar situation, except that they haven't decided yet how DD10 will be taught math. I'm a little worried that she'll be stuck in a corner with a workbook and left to herself. Being a virtual part of the middle school math class was mentioned as one possibility, so I'm interested to hear how your DD's experience goes.

That's where we're at. DD is sitting in the back of the gifted math class working from a textbook. The teacher is mostly focused on the other kids, and will check in with DD as she sets the other kids to work.

So far, it's working out pretty well but with a rocky start. I already had a good working relationship with the gifted teacher (DD's schedule did work last year to be part of the classroom). DH and I have sat with the teacher and focused on goals that are unique to the situation (how to learn from a textbook, how to know when it's appropriate to get the teacher's attention asking for help), plus an opportunity to target some specific issues. As such, this year is focused on *how to take a test, *how to check over ones work, *how to show ones work clearly, *how to keep motivated on the task, and oh yeah, we'll learn some math as well.

I get near daily reports from the teacher. We're supporting the classwork and teacher's request at home, but we're also communicating back to the teacher what is and is not working. DD now has a rubric for what is ok vs not of, and she's got a checklist to go through when she starts a new section (first, read the directions....)

So far, DD is focused on a goal (if she finishes the textbook before the end of the year, she'll have a special unit prepared for her on fractals), which requires she follow through on her focus, quantity, and accuracy.