I'm not sure if this has been discussed before but I thought it would be an interesting discussion. My DD10 in 5th grade has been accelerated by a year in math for the last couple of years. Previous years they just sent her to the proper room for math with the upper grade. This year 6th grade is at the middle school. After meeting with teachers and talking to DD at the end of last year, we all decided that she would be better off getting some type of 6th grade instruction at the Elementary school vs being driven to the middle school for math and adding an extra hour of school (plus distracted driving time causing transitional issues or whatever).

Apparently, they (meaning teachers and district/school GT coordinators) want to attempt and set up a virtual math class with the 6th grade at the GT magnet middle school. I got the idea she would have video/audio of the class real-time as it was being taught to the class at the other school. I'm not for/against but I do see some issues and hope they will be flexible if things don't work out. I have no idea how DD10 will deal with it mentally-she's very outgoing and group oriented. The idea is that she would go to math at the end of the day during essentially study-time. I assume they would give her study time during the other regular math time if it's needed for any other class projects....

So any thoughts/discussion? Has anyone else ever done something like this (ie not just online but real-time virutal classroom)? How was the audio/video quality, etc?

Thanks