Karen,

We experience the intensity, extroversion and activity of life with our 10 yr old DD. I really do think that intensity of thought, feeling and reaction is the hallmark of our gifted kids.

Our DD has used earplugs at sporting events and Bose noise cancelling earphones during tests. She has not had a tag in her clothes since she was 3 months old!

We also experience the volume control issue: talking over others to be sure she is heard.

The behavior problems generally only surfaced at school when she is asked to do "meaningless assignments". Thankfully, full grade acceleration and a very rigorous independent prep school have helped with that.

We continue to be challenged every day to appreciate the creativity, emotional sensitivity and extremely well developed sense of morality and justice that are this child.

It has helped to reframe the behaviors: instead of stubborn, I see her as persistent, working toward her goals. Instead of over-sensitive I try to appreciate her intuition about others.

You see what I mean. It does not change her, just my perceptions and acceptance. Good luck!

Susan

Susan from Reno