We used Cogmed for ds13 in grade 5, 3 years ago. DS13 is dyslexic, CAPD (really poor hearing in noise), ADD inattentive, prone to anxiety. He has average to poor visual memory, average to good auditory memory.

He had major problems with writing 3 years ago. He forgot what he wanted to say because he drew his letters and took a long time to write. This caused tons of issues in his GT classroom. I did some reading that made me think that part of his learning issues involved poor working memory, particularly the visual memory. There were a number of articles I found that suggested poor working memory was a factor in ADHD. I was looking for a non-medication tool because I wanted to avoid a mix of anti-anxiety meds and stimulants.

The 5 weeks of Cogmed were really rough to get through, because DS was perfectionistic, and every time he got better at the computer games, things got harder. One session took 90 minutes instead of the 30 minutes we expected. On the other hand, he started writing several paragraphs at school, and did a poem without anybody scribing for him. The teacher asked me what I did with my child. We were thrilled, and the gains in writing still remain. He was never impulsive, and his attention issues were sub-clinical (not much worse that average) when tested with the TOVA. He is just very distractible with noise and movement.

He is doing quite well this year, not the top student in his class, but pretty good given his LD's. He still needs reminders to hand in assignments, and writes in his planner about half the time, so not everything got fixed. Some of his best marks these days are in writing, (as long as he users a computer with spellcheck). He only did the initial round of Cogmed, and not the follow-up sessions that are routinely done these days. I promised him that he did not have to do it ever again, because it was that rough for him. But it sure helped with writing.

I have heard of some people it helped and some it didn't.