Like DeeDee I am also very cautious of quacks. BUT I don't necessarily agree that treatments that work are always quickly picked up and become widespread amongst the medical community. There are many areas where many (the majority of?) Drs don't use evidence based care but rather do "what they know" instead, maternity care for example.

And there are things that are new now that everyone will be doing in 10 years time... When I first looked into Metformin for PCOS 10+ years ago there was ONE endocrinologist in Australia who was looking at possibly doing trials of this radical new approach to treatment of PCOS, but wasn't actually doing so yet. Now GPs are prescribing Metformin left right and center. Same with Domperidone for poor milk supply.

So I don't assume that because something is not wide spread it is not effective a) it may not be an approach that is going to appeal to the medical community and so may get ignored even if it works and b) it might be huge in 10 years time. Both things happen. The trick is in figuring out what is hocus pocus and what is "real".