Originally Posted by radwild
I can't speak to the adoption and racial difference, but I can tell you that DS5 and a friend's DD4 both do this kind of goofy/bratty behavior and it does seem to be a plea to fit in or a distraction from frustration for both of them.

I have had ongoing issues with DS and piano lessons, with essentially the same type of behavior. VERY frustrating and I don't really have any answers either. But, thought you might like to know it seems to be fairly age-appropriate, or at least age-appropriate for these kiddos who are making sense of their worlds and where they fit in.

Good luck.

Thanks for the feedback!

I know kids can be goofy/bratty...I guess with other kids usually I can more easily understand why and how to address it with this one! (And honestly--she can be more goofy/bratty than most other kids I have seen--and as a teacher of young kids, I have seen lots of them!)

She is a complicated little girl, that is for sure. I think in trying to figure her out I believe, based on being around a lot of "regular" gifted people my whole life and understanding so much more after lots of reading and research, that some of this might be connected to a higher LOG then I have dealt with before.

Thank you for sharing though, it is comforting to know I am not the only one!