Chris,
Thanks for your reply--yes, that was absolutely heart-wrenching, because I could tell it was totally sincere and authentic. I think the issue is that we live in possibly one of the least racially diverse places possible, and she is the only Asian child at her school.

Dh had the brilliant idea this morning that the solution is to adopt again...ummmm, no, lol!

I wouldn't put "working the situation" past her! And re: consequences--my husband was about to pop a vein and my dad had lots of ideas for consequences (none of which were appropriate...) Basically she didn't get to choose a treat from the concession stand, and she will be making a card for her teacher and apologizing this week. It didn't help when the teacher and other parents were like, "oh, its ok, she was cute..." ummmm...no. not cute. nothing cute about it. We also talked about how if she wants to be able to do more challenging stuff, i.e. what she saw the big girls doing, she has to cooperate and be respectful.

And while about half of the bedtime conversation last night was sincere, if you've seen that new book "Go the F$%& to Sleep" you get the rest, lol!

Thanks for the feedback!