Originally Posted by aly
Hello Floridama,
I am in FL too. My DD6 was officially in Kindergarden this year but for the first semester they pulled her out to do first grade math, reading and writing (still easy for her but much better than K). She ended up in 1st grade fulltime by the 3rd semester but on paper she is still in K (as required by FL law).
In order to make this work, I approached the teachers I knew at the school before she went to K. I spoke to a K teacher and a first grade teacher individually, told them about her abilities and asked if they could try and work something out for her. (They know from experience how gifted my DS8 is so agreed to work with me on DD6). Once I got buy in from the teachers, they actually ended up taking the lead with the principle. (He chastized me severely for reaching out to the teachers directly but I knew this was the only was I could get results. It worked!).
My DS6 also gets frustrated with 'easy' work, so it would have been a real problem if she had not had this option available to her.
Could approaching good teachers in your school work for you? Just a thought
Aly
Sounds sneaky.. I like it! smile I won't know who DS teachers are till Aug and we are not allowed to make request, so I am going to have to wait and see which cards are dealt. I already planned on working the teacher angle first, although with the new class size laws, I doubt they will be open to letting him sit in as an extra 1st grader as it will put them over the 18 quota. They will switch classes for reading, so atleast the kids who don't know their letter sounds will not be in his reading class; however, most of them will still be a long way off from his reading abiities, and for Math the gap will be even worse. The kid loves EPGY, what can I say.