Originally Posted by susandj
Floridama -- I think the skip option totally depends on the school and the principal. I live in Florida (Orlando), and have one friend who skipped from kindy to 1st mid year. I'm sure they would push back at skipping him at the beginning of the year, but if you go in with testing, let the teachers get to know him, and become familiar with the principal and the gifted administrator, perhaps you could work out a mid-year assessment to skip into 1st for the remainder of the year.

Florida law mandates that before a child is allowed to enroll into grade one they must be 6 years old AND have completed K. Private schools may be able to work around this, but our public Magnet school can't. I have a GT DD8 at the school so thankfully, I am familiar with the territory. The only difference is that my son is twice as determined and motivated to move fast as my DD was/is. He wants to do everything better, bigger, and faster than the older kids, academics included. He also has little tolerance for repetition or "baby stuff" which is going to make school extra difficult for all involved.