This is one thing that worries me about the gifted magnet where DD will start in the fall. They are unbalanced WRT gender--it looks to be about 60/40 m/f. Somehow DD has been consistently in situations where boys way outnumber girls since toddlerhood, purely by happenstance, and here we are again. Was wondering if others experienced this, and if so, how it went for their girls.

I was wondering why this would be at the magnet, also. Aren't males and females essentially statistically equivalent WRT IQ? I seem to remember that there are slightly more PG males than females (also more profoundly developmentally delayed males than females), but why would one see a major discrepancy like this in a program that requires "only" 130 IQ to apply? Does this tend to be true of GT programs generally? Could it be that parents of boys think they "need" the magnet school more?

DD is not stereotypically girly--she enjoys math, science, bugs, and dirt, for instance, as well as fairies, butterflies, and drawing--but she hates war play and violence and is not into things like Star Wars and Legos. Her best friend is a boy, but the friendship is getting more and more tenuous as they age. She tends to gravitate to kids who are less wedded to gender-normed interests, generally.

Last edited by ultramarina; 04/24/11 01:22 PM.