Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    C
    celit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    polarbear, it is difficult to explain a complex child or situation in a short paragraph.

I did have a conference with all of his teachers and the school counselor when these issues arose, but I got the feeling that, as his mom, my information about my DS was not to be believed. I was right because the school did absolutely nothing. I knew then that we had to get a counselor who specializes in gifted issues to back us up and be our advocate. She found out about the visual-spatial style as a possible cause for his failing grades. The visual spatial style and the failing grades are compounded by his emotional issues brought on by a cancer scare, death of his dog and the death of his grandfather in the span of 1 month. We are tackling the VS learning style first in order to give him skills to overcome the failing grades.

D
    D
    Celit, have you tried cognitive-behavior therapy? Unlike regular talk therapy, it's effective for PTSD and for the kinds of behavior change you're looking for.

DeeDee

C
    celit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Celit, have you tried cognitive-behavior therapy? Unlike regular talk therapy, it's effective for PTSD and for the kinds of behavior change you're looking for.

DeeDee

DeeDee, we haven't, as of yet. I trust our counselor; she is outstanding. I will mention it to her. Thank you!

C
    celit Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    I have to say, despite being anxious about my DS, I have so enjoyed this thread and it intrigues me the path the topics have flowed! talking too much->visual spatial->bras->playing the game->morals->morels->organics

I've received an enormous amount of great advice and ideas for my DS, but I have to say the enlivening conversation has had a more positive effect on my concerns for my DS than anything else!

You all are awesome!

Originally Posted by celit
    I have to say, despite being anxious about my DS, I have so enjoyed this thread and it intrigues me the path the topics have flowed! talking too much->visual spatial->bras->playing the game->morals->morels->organics

That's because this chat board has some very talented Glass Bead Game players.

Ahhhh... polysemy, I hardly knew ye...

wink

On another note, I have explained this phenomenon to my family as "there are some problems either so intractable or so complex that 'if I didn't laugh I would cry' is the only real solution using deductive reasoning."

In other words, I nominate Jon for "most pithy post of the day." Again.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    "I've received an enormous amount of great advice and ideas for my DS, but I have to say the enlivening conversation has had a more positive effect on my concerns for my DS than anything else!"

@celit - I know my own DD (though I wish she were more disconnected sometimes) is very sensitive to how humorous - or anxious- I'm feeling and I'm very aware of it but it's a struggle to stay optomistic someimes, sometimes I feel like I would need to be a bit hysterically/non-authentically "up".

So what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad the responses have made you feel better or perhaps given you some sort of perspectice (I think that's why I keep coming back) and I bet your DS will feel the lift.

My DD is super VS and it's a very cool trait, I bet your DS is a neat kid. BYW I think a mom discussing bra issues with her son will make for a very sympathetic hubby for some girl out there someday : - ) LOL!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM