We just received our daughter's welcome packet & first grade placement in the mail last night. In the letter from the principal, he encouraged parents to write letters of introduction so that the teachers will have a chance to know something about the children before the first day.

I'm struggling with what to write.

Our dd is currently reading & writing near mid-late 2nd grade level, understanding multiplication & fractions, etc. Our dd likes to observe before entering a new situation, is (already) a perfectionist, and afraid of taking risks. She deals well with other children and is very well socially adjusted. After the initial break-in period she becomes a leader, even with older children.

We've already had to make the request that she be accepted into first grade this year, rather than K (first acceleration - according to MO law). Which was granted based on a letter from her teacher at the private K program. She'll automatically be the youngest in her class. But she would get more out of 2nd grade academically.

I want the teacher to know that we're expecting differentiation, but that we're willing to help in whatever way is necessary to make it easier to accomplish this. We know that the only way for dd to deal with her perfectionistic tendencies is to be challenged and learn risk-taking skills.

The school offers pull-out gifted programs that will likely begin second semester. But the pull-out programs are more project based, rather than core-academic based. The classroom teachers are expected to be differentiating as necessary.

I want to be up front about all of this, without overwhelming the teacher (or becoming pushy). I also don't want to focus on the age issue for fear of making things harder when school starts.

I'm thinking of asking my daughter to write a letter to the teacher too.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions or encouragement would be welcomed!

Thanks!