Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by Giftodd
    But dd has a deep understanding of herself, other people and existential issues, the extent of which I sense I don't yet fully understand as she's not yet able to process or articulate it herself. The only way I can think to describe it for now is as a 'knowing'. All of which probably sounds completely ridiculous and new age-y, which I am not, but I don't know how else to describe it. I would say that this is where she demonstrates her PGness in a way that I haven't seen in the few much more obviously 'PG' kids I have met.

Thank you for articulating this so well. THIS is where my DD is so phenomenally unlike anyone else I have ever met. She is amazingly empathetic and has been since before she could talk. She has an innate understanding of human nature that humbles me on a daily basis. She can zero in on underlying reasons for inexcusable behaviour and bring the person to talk about what is really bothering them. I often find myself unable to describe her with words. She has the most beautiful, knowing soul and people are drawn to her. She can talk about her feelings in ways that most adults cannot. If this could be considered a level of giftedness, then she is PG+. Funny how we are most likely to think of GT on only an academic level. Thanks for pointing out this aspect.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    C
    C
    I, too, am not meaning to imply a belief in reincarnation, but I do refer to dd12 as an "old soul." She's always seemed older than she is and is usually mistaken for older than she is although she's a petite built person. I've had more people than I can say talk with her on the phone and tell me she sounds like a 25 y/o.

Her unusually long lasting focus on a specific field (marine mammology) also tends to make her sound rather expert since she knows a ton about it and other areas she's loved for a long time.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by gratified3
    I think yardstick issues are common.

I would definitely agree with that. I share both your issues, my DH is 6'7", so 6' seems "quite short" to me and I have deeply offended people by saying that outloud at times. And amongst the children of a whole bunch of like minded professional types our kids don't stand out THAT much. In fact the ways in which they stand out most is probably sleeping less, being more intense, hard to keep up with in general, than overt "smarts".

and I do think this comes into it for our kids too:

I do agree with the previous posts that talked about personality being a factor, but I also think there is a parental factor involved as well. I am more philosophical than academic and dh is more creative than academic and so to a certain extent dd reflects what she is exposed to at home. The couple of stereotypically PG kids I have met have very academic parents who know and talk about academic concepts and theories as part of their daily life. Where as we tend to talk about life and people in a way that is possibly unusual. Neither of which I think is more valuable than the other, just different.

It's not intentional but I think that comparatively to some families we have radically under supported any academic pursuits in our children while they are small. They get endless support to play and interact but not much to read, write, etc. Just thinking about my 14 month old, she requires constant attention and stimulation. Since she was only a few weeks old she has been utterly miserable if not kept constantly busy. But as avid a reader as I am, and as much as my older children love books, it has never occurred to me to read to her until last week. If she needs stimulation I take her for an outing, put her on the swing, build blocks, do puzzles, stacking cups, shape sorting, etc. We are a reading household, but due to a particular set of circumstances reading to her just hasn't been part of how I've parented her - so she's pretty damn unlikely to start reading any time soon!

Then again she's shape sorted younger than her siblings and she's quite interested in books now that we are reading to her.

Edited to add: I have wandering around for hours pondering this and finally had a "Duh!" moment. We didn't start reading to her young because she screamed pretty much non stop for the first 4 months and I just don't think to read to someone who is screaming at me... After that things were still pretty precarious for the rest of the first year.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 04/21/11 11:05 PM.
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM