Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Instead of insisting that he auditions, try to understand why he does not want to do it this time. Maybe he is burned out? Maybe it was not as much fun to him as you seem to believe?(I am not sugesting it wasn't, just trying to brainstorm:-) Maybe he would like to try other aspect of theatre, like working on sets or sounds, instead of acting? Gifted kids are naturally good in many areas, which does not necessarily mean that they are enjoying all of them.
    Having said that, I have to be honest and say that Ghost, after performing in Willy Wonka (he was Mr. Wonka), could not wait for another role. But he had to wait a whole year. He was so sure that he is going to land the major role in Midsummer's Night Dream, that when he did not get to play Puck, he was very, very dissapointed (tears in his eyes big time). But the role he landed has opened him up even more, as he was playing one of the female characters, and he was spectacular. The whole gymnasium was loughing at his high pitched attempts to speak like a woman:-)

So Lorel, try to find out why your son is not exciting about this new production. There is a reason!

Ug, I suggest that you follow your gut on this one. I usually start with a long rehersal about all the times in the past when my judgement made a positive difference in his life, and remember how deeply you trust me...after a few minutes of that he says: "So you mean I HAVE too?" I think he'd rather take the direction then have to sit through the lecture.

Does he have a friend who is also trying out? Maybe that would sweeten the deal?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Grandma-

Go ahead and razz, I don't mind! I am SO far from being a stage mother that it's funny to hear. I guess it's my lazy nature. My kids could be so much "further along" if I pushed them, but that's not my way. I want them to "own" their achievements and experiences, and I may in fact err more on the side of not doing enough for their development. Time and money are always at a premium too, and I am constantly juggling to try to do what I consider the bare minimum for each of my four.

I agree about your ideas on making choices.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Ania-

I appreciate your thoughts. Truly though, I believe it is just the fear of the unknown that is getting in his way. He can feel successful about his performance in the teen group production, but community theater is a big question mark to him. He's seen some productions there, and he knows the stage and seating, but the whole backstage world is mysterious and scary. Ds tends to be anxious before new things, but he is very quick to acclimate once he is there. Last night, for instance, I took him to visit a scout troop in a neighboring town, as he is about to cross over into Boy Scouts. He was very nervous beforehand, but about fifteen minutes in he joined the troop boys in their activities and by the time we left, he was laughing and joking with the other guys. We arrived home and he told Dad, "It was GREAT!" This is just so typical for him. I'm like this too, I think, but not as socially adept and so a bit slower to warm up to a new group.

I'm chuckling over your description of your son playing a woman. Was he the Fairy Queen?

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Grinity-

I don't think any of his pals are trying out, but we can check around and see. That certainly would make it easier.

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I think it's Medusa, isn't it? I'm still waiting for that hair I donated to grow back, so it's perfect for me!

Lorel - my DS7 is exactly like your DS. He will have a wonderful time doing something (soccer, a play, etc.) but then not want to do it again the next time it comes around. His problem is not wanting to leave whatever he is doing to go do the other thing. I have definitely given him gentle nudges when I KNOW it is going to be something he will really enjoy. And he always has after he has gotten there. Since you feel he will really enjoy this play I think a gentle nudge would be in order. If he is really,really, really resistant I don't know that I'd force it though. You don't want him turned off of the whole thing. My DS has never gotten really resistant so I haven't had to deal with that. I'm sure you know how far you can push him without upsetting him.

On a side note, I am getting ready to donate my hair too! It has gotten so long and I am ready to do it. Does this mean I should change my avatar too??? LOL!

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Beware, EandCMom, as last time I asked for 12 inches to be cut and they took off closer to 18! Give the hairdresser a ruler if you're not positive that he or she will do it right.

My hair is very "springy" and if it is too short, it POOFS horribly. I need length to weight it down.

I changed my avatar, as I can see that staring at Medusa's head might not be fun for everyone. How do y'all like Henry VIII? "I'm Henry the Eighth, I am..."

EandC, good luck with your avatar search if you do decide to change. Maybe we can get Mr. Mark to provide us with a new selection?

Oooooh now I am scared. I will definitely take a ruler as I still want some hair left over for me.

I LOVE Henry VIII. He is one of my very favorite monarchs and I used to read just tons about him and all his wives. So I, for one, like it! smile

Lorel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DD has been enamored of the Tudors since she was four and we ran across them in our history studies. She and I share books on them, and we both enjoyed Alison Weir's newest book, Innocent Traitor, which is all about poor lady Jane Grey. It was really fun to see dd at four (and she was petite) reciting, "divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived" in a singsongy voice.

Henry was reputed to be quite handsome in his younger days. It's a shame he let himself go, but maybe it was just desserts for his cruel treatment of his wives.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM