DS11 just took a 12 week long Shakespeare workshop with our homeschool teen group. He was the youngest player and a complete novice, but he really did an amazing job! Last night was the final performance, and he nailed it. He had no trouble remembering his lines, though he rarely studied them. He was very proud of himself and he enjoyed the whole experience tremendously.

The director/instructor is now starting a community theater production of Alice in Wonderland. She wrote out the audition schedule and asked me to have my son audition. She told me that he wouldn't need to bring any memorized lines, as she already knows that he can memorize. She really seemed to want him in the play, and I cannot imagine any more perfect way to ease him into the whole community theater experience. He has talked about doing more acting, but when I asked him about Alice, he said he wasn't interested. I figure that he is wary of new situations, but quick to adapt and acclimate when presented with them, so maybe it is time for me to do some gentle pushing. I generally don't do this, but I feel like he has a golden opportunity where he is almost guaranteed a part. He will be familiar with the director too, which is a huge benefit- he already knows how to work with her and what her expectations are.

What do you think? Am I wrong to insist that he audition? It is unusual for me to do so, but I feel that he shouldn't miss this chance.