Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 316 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    J
    JamieH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by master of none
    How about when you have a child who is nonverbal because of selective mutism and you want him to have professional help. You call professional after professional and you hear that when a child is nonverbal it is a sign of abuse and until they can rule that out by talking to him ALONE, they cannot begin treatment. (But they are willing to wait him out and charge you until he begins speaking...)

Blaming the parent before they even see you! As well as ignorance of the diagnosis you are seeking.
    That was very useful information. I had not heard of selective mutism. What I found especially interesting is how some interpret this as a sign of possible abuse. Thanks, this is very useful.

Given the information on selective mutism, I would classify my daughter as having selective anxiety. I think who ever came up with the term selective mutism is just not noticing the anxiety effects all skills not just speech. It is a scientific fact that skills are reduced as the level of hormonal and emotional levels shift from normal. Even being extremely happy will cause a reduction in skills. One of the difference in people is the degree at which the level changes affect skill changes.

I also have very selective anxiety. The only difference between my daughter and myself is the degree anxiety affects my skills. This barely affects me, but I am quite aware of the preference I feel towards certain people over others. Interestingly enough, my daughter seems to have the same preferences for the same people. As she has gotten older, the effect of the anxiety on her skills has dropped off significantly.

I suspect the common aspect of the people she shows anxiety towards are people who talk down to others using a tone in their voice. This is something that does not seem to run in my family or my friends. I even found a scientific paper once (can't find it anymore) where they could even identify leadership structures by analyzing the tone used in conversations.

Once she gets to know one of these less preferred people, instead of showing shyness when they use the tone, she stands up to them with her extreme stubborness.

Psychology is in the dark ages!!! There has been a lot of progress in cognitive sciences over the last decade. Especially since the nature side of psychology was finally allowed to be talked about. As in most professions, a lot of people seem to stop wanting to learn as soon as they are out of school. This goes for a lot of the educators as well.

A
    A
    Selective mutism is very often the result of a retained infantile fear paralysis reflex, which is triggered, as the name indicates, by fear, so there is certainly an anxiety component, but it is also a physiological response that makes speech impossible while the reflex is activated.

J
    JamieH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Selective mutism is very often the result of a retained infantile fear paralysis reflex, which is triggered, as the name indicates, by fear, so there is certainly an anxiety component, but it is also a physiological response that makes speech impossible while the reflex is activated.
    Thanks, another one I had not heard about. My daughter did not show any signs of social anxiety or any other fears until she woke up from her sleep one night at 18 months. Both the sleep issues and social anxiety came out of no where and went from non-existent to extreme at this time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM