Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I admit that I have this what-if paranoia in the back of my mind--"What if she hates it, and years from now is always saying 'My parents pulled me out of this great, relaxed arts school and put me in this hypercompetitive gifted school, and I hated it'?"

Sigh.

Having done this at that age - we always tell other kids switching schools but not "moving" means you end up with MORE friends.

This is a GREAT way to approach it with her, although I know what she will also say in response: "But we never see (best friend from 3yo preschool class who doesn't even remember DD anymore) or (child with extremely weird and hostile parents who left current school in a cloud of ill-will) anymore."

Sadly, DD will grow up and question your judgement - no matter what you do - it goes with the territory, especially for our perfectionistic little ones 'Outer Directed Perfectionism'

Frankly, she will probably also hate it at first, that what reversing underachievement is all about. But better now than at age 20 babykins!

Can a playdate be arranged with one of the nicer girls from the new school? Sometimes all it take is to be shown 'Oh, someone who gets my jokes!'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Well, she did pro/con lists today. She wrote and came up with most, but I suggested some, too. When we were done, my blessedly logical child quickly saw that the new school had more pros than the old school, and said "Well, I think I should go to newschool, then."

We'll see if it lasts! This is all so delicate with her.

Last edited by ultramarina; 03/10/11 02:21 PM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    We'll see if it lasts! This is all so delicate with her.
    Prayers your way - good logical girl! I'm so proud of her!
    My hunch is that if you stay grounded that this is 'worth trying even if it's hard' that she will stay the course.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    I have to see, it was illuminating to discuss with her the simple fact that school's main purpose is learning, and to ask her if current school is helping her learn.

"No, I don't really learn anything there. I'd like to go someplace where I could learn things." Not emotional or bitter about it--just matter of fact. It reminded me of the time she offhandedly remarked that the only useful thing she'd learned at school so far this year was how to do a better job cutting a circle out of paper. (Not true--she also has learned how to read a clock and count money, two things we hadn't taught her. And I assume SOME of the improvement in her writing this year is due to school. But sill.)

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Just to update--we did settle on the switch to the gifted school starting in the fall. smile We are all nervous, excited and sad (about leaving the old school) all at once.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM