Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 387 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Ironically, I'm motivated by an almost diammetrically opposed set of inner motivations. Oh, sometimes it is about the details escaping me when I start a project...

but sometimes it is because once I have the entire thing (planning, troubleshooting, etc) done in my mind, there's just no point in the physical/corporeal task of making it all a reality.

It's a very Zen approach to things. I can imagine the finished product, and therefore I don't need to bring another afghan into the world, since it exists in my mind's eye. Of course, this doesn't explain why I have the materials for the project. blush

This is me and my DS9 to a "T". He told me the other day...homework and tests are pointless. I know I know and that is enough. Now if only we can convince the world that!

P
    Pru Offline
    P
    My DD7 is exactly like this and her ambitious projects evaporate, like her Christmas boutique store two years ago called "Bells Rock" for which she distributed "coming soon" flyers around the neighborhood. Bouts of mild panic struck her as the day approached and she lacked inventory, but the day came and went with no tears or major regrets.

So what is the proper time to unleash my inner Tiger Father and force/aid her into finishing such projects after the bubbles of inspiration have been popped by the prickly details, leaving only the prospect of hard work?

As some of the other posters mentioned, I too could have used strong arms to help me conquer and tame my perfectionism and do the necessary hard work. Instead I was told how talented I was and how much potential I had, and given free reign to plan and dream away with the assumption that one day when I was "ready" I would magically awake from the spell, lift myself up by my bootstraps, and accomplish everything of which I was capable. That Hollywood ending, naturally, did not happen.

Originally Posted by Pru
    So what is the proper time to unleash my inner Tiger Father and force/aid her into finishing such projects after the bubbles of inspiration have been popped by the prickly details, leaving only the prospect of hard work?

As some of the other posters mentioned, I too could have used strong arms to help me conquer and tame my perfectionism and do the necessary hard work.

I think that there is a middle path - you provide your dd with some of the tools so she knows that she can work hard.
    I'm not sure why- but I prefer a child to get used to working hard on school or adult supervised afterschool activities, rather than self-generated projects.

For the self-generated ones, I'd get out that old 'Wishcraft' Book and help the child follow the steps - with self-generated projects there are usually very real reasons why the project won't work. Maybe I'd 'nag/bribe/re-inforce' doing one simple step per day - but maybe not! I think the proper mindset is to expect that projects have an 'exploration' phase where one does some R&D, and then decides to allocate time and money to the project in the 'commitment' phase.

Make sense?
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    P
    Pru Offline
    P
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    I think that there is a middle path - you provide your dd with some of the tools so she knows that she can work hard. I'm not sure why- but I prefer a child to get used to working hard on school or adult supervised afterschool activities, rather than self-generated projects.
    That makes good sense. When challenged by boring or hard work, she still sometimes throws those fits where she checks out, slides out of her chair and ends up finishing the homework on her back under the table, etc. That's where we should be focusing to help her get a grip and hold on.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM