Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 371 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Verona
    My DS6 (naturally ambi, but taught to be right handed) sees an OT for fine motor skill issues. She was very insistent ... that he use the same hand for all his fine motor skills.

Why? Does she have evidence for some kind of advantage to using only one hand or disadvantage for using both?

I'm mostly ambidextrous, but I do some things better with my right hand and some better with my left (others equal on both). I've always worked on being able to use both hands, after seeing kids in my class (and adults) effectively crippled because of a broken wrist, finger, hand, etc.

Just my two cents, with no information about your son's particular situation!

Val

V
    V
    My son is dyspraxic/dyslexic, and the OT feels that having the same laterality for all his fine motor tasks (writing, eating, cutting, lego, etc) will help him organize himself in space and also be better in terms of developing his muscle control. She did add that having a different dominant side for gross motor like swinging, kicking was OK.

I agree that for a child without dyspraxia, it probably doesn't matter too much. I write with my left, eat with my left, cut with my right and dial the phone with my right. I had very good fine motor skills as a child, so it didn't seem to be a problem fro me. However, I still don't know my right from left and have a terrible sense of direction and space . . . I wonder if I'd be better at this if I had a more definite laterality?

Val Offline
    However, I still don't know my right from left and have a terrible sense of direction and space . . . I wonder if I'd be better at this if I had a more definite laterality?

Can only answer about my own experience: In spite of using both hands, I have a good sense of direction and an excellent sense of space.

Neurobiology is so ferociously complicated!

Val

L
    L
    I hold it "correctly" and have awful handwriting. If he can write legibly the way that he's doing it, it shouldn't be a problem. For other things, I'm not always naturally a lefty. I throw righty and can write righty (even less legible, though). DC20 is lefty in most things, holds a pencil incorrectly, and ended up being righty for some sports... I think that lefties tend to be more ambidextrous than righties in general...

M
    Mom0405 Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thank you all. DS5 is very visual spatial, has expressive language disorder as well (but coming along nicely), and very creative/imaginative. He seems to becoming finally more confident in his trying more physical challenges, and wants to try more athletic activities. He has always been a cautious kid due to his visual convergence issues, and never has been the kid that bounds from place to place at the playground. That's why all of this is coming into play now, and questions being asked. I am trying to get my head wrapped around how to help him figure things out. Thanks again.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Val
    However, I still don't know my right from left and have a terrible sense of direction and space . . . I wonder if I'd be better at this if I had a more definite laterality?

Can only answer about my own experience: In spite of using both hands, I have a good sense of direction and an excellent sense of space.

Neurobiology is so ferociously complicated!

Val

I am not quite ambi, but can use my right well. I am a lefty. My mother is a lefty, but uses her right for things like cutting (she was even a right-handed hairdresser as a young adult). You can put me in the middle of nowhere, and I will find my way out. I can tell when I am in a building with a basement, a crawl space or on a slab. I know when I am sleeping on a bunk, throughout the night. My mother cannot find her way out of a shoe box. LOL. smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM