Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by aculady
    Jewel,

If your older boy is eligible for the Duke Summer programs, he is also eligible for the online and independent study programs, which are less expensive. It is also worth noting that substantial financial aid is available for all of these options if you apply early.
    Do you have any idea how low income one needs to be to qualify for financial aid? My dd12 would love to do their marine lab program but it is out of our budget although we aren't so low income (like free lunch eligible) that we generally qualify for much financial aid.

F
    F
    Hi there. My older DD12 was never id gifted until last year... She was tested but it was the cogat and she would miss it by a few points. I finally had her privately tested and she had similar scores to your younger son. They suggested the developmental optometrist who had no idea why I was bringing a child to him that could read well above grade level. However on one of the tests she did much better with Prism glasses and so we are using those at this time. Supposedly they expect it to bring up her PRI score. We will never know as I have no intention of ever testing her again! She does say it seems to make reading a bit easier and we have noticed less silly mistakes in her math when she uses them.

I feel I let her down in regards to her education. I trusted the school system to know what to do. It was not until I started reading etc. that I realized how many things were overlooked by the school system. I did not know anything about Gifted or what it even really meant. I have learned loads reading this board. I still feel guilty and have many regrets. My second one is 2 and she is showing signs of being precocious as well. I had no idea with the first, I just thought it was normal and that the others would catch up. My second will reap many benefits that my first did not. I guess one learns to live with it and not let it get in the way of continuing to do the best we can with what we got. Good luck to you!

A
    A
    From the Duke TIP website: :

To assist families with the Summer Studies financial aid process, we have outlined the steps you need to follow in order to apply for financial aid. Limited financial aid is available for all Duke TIP Summer Studies Programs, so it is important to submit your application promptly. Financial aid is awarded on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need.

Financial aid is available only to students and families residing in the U.S., and U.S. tax and income documentation is required. Families might qualify for some degree of financial aid if household income does not exceed:

* $65,000 for a household of two
    * $82,000 for a household of three
    * $99,000 for a household of four
    * $116,000 for a household of five
    * $133,000 for a household of six

Families with incomes above these levels will not receive assistance unless they are able to demonstrate extraordinary circumstances. Financial aid recipients will receive aid awards for one term only.

Edit: Oops! This was supposed to be in response to Cricket asking for the income range. Hit the wrong reply button.

Last edited by aculady; 01/23/11 05:16 PM.
    J
    Jewel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Aculady - Thank you so much! We did briefly consider financial aid for Duke TIP due to some significant medical bills over the past year. Normally, our HH income would not meet the guidelines for aid, but it had crossed my mind to apply with the medical bill considerations (and we have decent insurance - cannot imagine what other families must do!). DS1 had some good local opportunities last summer, however, and he is very much a homebody, so I didn't pursue the Duke TIP angle. He is young for his grade & rather shy, as well. We may consider one of the Duke online classes for him this summer, but he is also applying to be a JR TA at a local summer camp (it's a bigger deal than it sounds, for various reasons) and we are also considering a camp at the Kansas Cosmosphere & Space Center. Thank you for the info, however, and your posting + Katebee's is prompting me to consider the LD issue for DS2. It is definitely food for thought & the school had never mentioned it. I appreciate your concern.

J
    Jewel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Reading thru these posts is so overwhelming - in a good way! Thank you to everyone for your insight & all the info - and especially the encouraging words. Who would have thought that posting on a message board could bring forth such great results? Perhaps I should try it more often! Importantly, I plan to figure out a way to discuss DS2's GAI with the school psych because, thanks to Dottie's observance, it appears his GAI is actually above the potential cut-off for next year. That alone is a huge saving grace. I will post a follow-up to let everyone know what I find out re: GAI. I do understand that the psych is overworked between multiple schools, and mistakes can happen, but I am hopeful that the error (assuming there is one) can be fixed so DS is not at risk of being removed from the GT program. I suppose I would encourage everyone to "double-check the math" - but I had no idea how to do that until now.

Originally Posted by Jewel
    I'm somewhat embarrassed to post because all my learning has shown some serious parental failure and we do actually try hard to be good parents.

Oh dear, don't forget to serve out a big heap of blame/shame for the SCHOOL that has not been getting this right for your kids, while you're considering who should be embarrassed! I too, as well as many other folks have been in the same spot: miserable kid, parent desperate to figure out what is up, finally arriving at possibility of being gifted being some of the issue, and come to find out a lot of this misery could have been avoided. And we are in a good district with good programs, so hate to think about where ds10 would be without that light at the end of the tunnel.

You are right to consider retesting outside of the school if you don't think they are setting things up so your son can be his most successful. Money/absolute necessity is always an issue on this, I completely understand.

Katebee --- so sorry to hear about your daughter's experience with all this, our ds10 was seriously depressed around that age, too, it was very difficult to come to terms with for us, but we are all coping better now. In fact he is laughing and singing and doing most of the things he should as a kid, as well as most of the things he shouldn't. If your daughter is still very sad, I do hope you are working with a counselor to get her on a better track emotionally (and this probably is best done outside the school, I am not sure I'd trust a school to handle such a major issue). Best of luck, hugs to you and her!!

Originally Posted by Jewel
    Last year, a very kind mom with several GT children at school took me aside and told me that my son was obviously GT and that I needed to advocate for him. I barely knew this lady at the time, but she came out of the blue & was so kind (like all of you posters!). Over the year, I followed all the required steps with this lady's help. During the eval & testing process, the school firmly maintained that DS's grade skip was his "intervention" and no other "intervention" was needed. However, there are a few other students who have been grade-skipped (including a few of this nice lady's kids), it was interesting to note that all those students had been tested & ID'd as GT. (DS was never even tested.) The school insisted that his IEP include the disclaimer that his "intervention" had been grade-skipping. However, because DS received no GT support and had no GT peers in his classes, he wasn't really enjoying school that much (even advanced work is fairly easy for him) and he had fewer & fewer friends with the same interests. If this lady had not come forward to help me, having observed my son over the years, I'm convinced he would have simply repeated 5th grade with no GT support from the school....
    In hindsight, I know that we've failed him as parents in this key area, but - at the time - I knew nothing about GT and thought the school would surely have ID'd him if there was reason to do so.

... So he has done fine w/out GT program. However, it IS a wonderful program (once the child gets in) and it would have been a very nice opportunity for DS13.

Your thoughts/advice are welcome, too. I'm somewhat embarrassed to post because all my learning has shown some serious parental failure and we do actually try hard to be good parents.

Acknowledging a problem is the first step to overcoming it. So I congratulate you on posting even though it's embarrassing - that shows a lot of strength of character.

Your only error was believing the normal assumption that schools are the experts in educating out children and that they are fairly trying to help each child get the most of of their programs. This makes you naive, not bad.

I was naive too, and I get tremendous satisfaction from posting here and helping other families get over their naivet�. I'll bet that your 'out of the blue' friend had her naive days too.

You are in no way 'too late' for either of your sons, and you are certainly not to late to help any potential grandchildren they may bring you. There is very heavy 'genetic' component to giftedness so start thinking long term now!

Also - lots of us have been in the situation of your friend from 'out of the blue' so thanks for giving us a living example that sometimes it works out to just 'say what one sees.' Please give her a great big thank you from me, ok?

Sometimes I feel that I should keep my mouth shut in 'real life,' because, well, who wants to hear my perspective? So thanks for the encouragement to 'let it flap!'

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    J
    Jewel Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hello, everyone. Following up on my first (& only) post here. Your advice was much-appreciated. For various reasons, we are now seriously considering private WISC IV testing for DS. He is currently in school gifted program, but that may change if new requirements are established due to budget cuts. (Long story)

DS would be eligible for testing as of mid-May, when he will be approx 11 yrs, 6 mos. His current GAI is 134, though Dottie observed that it is likely 136. For many reasons, I have not gone back to the school (yet) to discuss this discrepancy. Frankly, I'm not too confident in info they give me, though I think they mean well overall. Nor was DS given full WISC IV - just VCI & PRI - though I gather those are two most important aspects of WISC.

We live in Kansas City area (USA) and seek someone who is warm & engaging. I read an excellent article by Dr. James T. Webb who stresses the importance of such qualities in a tester. I've also seen Dr. Webb present in-person. Wow, I wish HE was available to test DS! He would be exactly the right kind of tester for any of my kids.

I have checked Hoagies & asked parents here, but have no solid leads. SENG web site lists one Dr in St. Louis, MO, but that's 4 hrs away & I have nothing to go on besides the listing. I would drive 4 hours if nesc, but sure would want to believe the tester was a good one!

(As an aside, DS does not have any vision issues, per optom & he does not believe a developmental eye test is appropriate for DS. This was discussed earlier in the post & I did check it out - thanks to Katebee!)

Any recommendations would be appreciated. And, again, thank you for your time & advice.

A little farther away, but worth his weight in gold:
    Edward R. Amend, PsyD - more info �
    1025 Dove Run Rd # 304, Lexington, KY
    (859) 269-6465 ‎

Especially if you are still worried about the Verbal - Performance spread.

And don't take the advice of a 'straight' optomitrist about developmental optomitrists - they don't speak the same language.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Sometimes I feel that I should keep my mouth shut in 'real life,' because, well, who wants to hear my perspective?

Don't you dare! I would love to import you to my area just so I could pick your brain. You have no idea how much support you provide to those of us in 'gifted impoverished' areas (by that I mean NO services for GTs.... NONE!). This forum is my lifeline to sanity most days.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs