Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    I am a Bad Dad, I was so busy copying the puns to my facebook, that I forgot to pick up DS8 from ES to take him to MS math. Tardy because of Dad.

elh0706 #93431 01/24/11 11:30 AM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    It is just painful, for him and for us that school provides so little academic challenge and so much challenge in dealing with arbitrary rules, and following rules without much incentive. I agree these skills are good to learn, however, they can be learned with a challenging academic program.

Couldn't agree with you more! It's amazing to me that so many educators think that these things AND an appropriately challenging curriculum are mutually exclusive. cry

elh0706 #93433 01/24/11 11:40 AM
    Originally Posted by elh0706
    Grinity,
    Yes, we do spend out of school time on much more level appropriate learning and exploration. He loves that sort of activity. Case in point he is stuck in 8th grade SAXON math but loves to pull out his Dad's Calculus books and figure out derivatives on his own. He is also working on a Science fair project that in my opinion is much more complicated than most of his age mates. We go to museum exhibitions, music performances and he reads everything under the sun!
    Can you show the school the paper notes when he is figuring out derivatives and see if they can set up a mentor to come and show him some math every other week?
    I sounds like you are doing a really good job with the enrichment outside of school hours!
    Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    E
    E
    Edwin, my first though was that someone else understood my son's need to constantly commentate on everything. His mind does not have an off switch and neither does his mouth. smile

Sadly, we frequently have to tell him to be quiet because our ears are tired. We only use this when he is giving us a step by step button by button commentary on what he is doing in his handheld game.

Although I have heard that we have it a little easier than another parent I know. Her son wants to be a Sports Commentator and uses a Sports commentator voice to talk about everything smile

Lucky for us they do sleep. The fun part for me is that DS8 starts in the middle of a story, and I have no idea what he is talking about, and he gets frustrated that I don't understand.

OP Offline
    Here's what I've been doing lately. http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad296/Hablame_today/1e9a474d.jpg
    Not my design. I googles paper m�ch� vases images and tissue paper flowers.
    I'm making my first big family party. It's small by local standards. I'm making 20 tables centerpieces with little guest gifts and they need take-home centerpieces, so this is what I did. smile. Plus I'm making rice. , beans, and a cake. And the guys are bbq-ing. Good times. It's MIL's eightyith

I meant to tell a story on the Santa thread. You can see how on top of things I am. I messed Santa clause all up. I told him to write a letter to Santa and we put it in the post office. I said "now maybe Santa will come to our house.". He said, "probably not. He'll probably mail me something.". We're rural. We do everything mail order.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    J
    J
    Thanks for starting this La Tex smile

I was just thinking that "it can't be helped", it is the way it is.

That as soon as any of us say or admit that our child is 'gifted' (or if we don't even use that word, but just that yes, does something levels ahead (not talking about sports or music, ha) of other children) to a teacher or another adult, that it can't be helped the types of reactions we get.

Only with another adult who already has experience or is gracious enough would you get acceptance at some level. Those are such treasured people!!

But those other adults, you know who they are, (horror and shudder), where their reactions totally blows you away. Because we have extra "senses", we sense almost immediately that some of these adults say "oh, let's see how smart your kid really is", "what do you know", and "see, they're not that smart" ... and then add on, "you think you're so smart" "big whooping deal" blah blah blah

I've decided that as soon as someone displays that, I am no longer responsible for their education. No, I will not be the one to educate them. (I'm too sensitive.) I will not spend my energy and my small time on earth explaining to someone who already has that attitude. Gah, it isn't about being smart anyways. It really has nothing to do with that. SIGH.

I will run. Fly. I rather sit in the dark.

I can't stand it. When you were young, did you ever wonder what was wrong with everyone? Why were the 8-10 yr old girls all acting so weird and how come they didn't "get" things? sigh. It was so frustrating.

Would anyone like to sit in the dark with me to explore the universe? smile

Jesse, yes sure, count me in. wink Brian Greene has a new book out on the multiverse...

Actually I am becoming cranky and more 'in your face' as I get older so although I have done some good in the dark time, I am more willing to just talk to people.
    I do recall wondering what was up with all the 15 year old boys being so.... well, less than brilliant, let's just say. wink

I have had some wonderful conversations (ok, maybe just a couple) with folks who do get it, so that is always nice. I actually got a 'good for you!' from a parent at the preschool/k where dd4 goes when she found out that dd was in K. She knew all about having to skip from her older daughter so was totally supportive. Whew.

OP Offline

I like the way you wrote that.

Well, Jesse, I hate to tell you this. It really kind of is about being smart, whatever that means. Lol, I know what you mean. It's like, "You mean to tell me that my little kid doesn't know everything you've learned in your forty (sic) years of life in one of the two or three skill areas that you bothered to master and that, in your expert opinion, defines the definition of smartness.". Gimme a break.

I'm Not naming names but I have a long time family member who's going out of her way to play those kind of games right now. She has a couple relatives with boys the same age. The unnamed relative wants to insist the boys are "equally smart" when neither me nor the other mother have that attitude. We both have a good idea about how deep the boys are. And yes the meddler is a close relative who's around a lot. It's hard to tell the other boy's mother about parenting or educational ideas let alone giftedness. and the meddler is going out of the way to make the boys develop evenly and she's not raising either one of them. That's enough hints. You probably already know who it is.

I'd love to explore the universe in the dark, starting with finding out what this moving lines I see whenever I close my eyes are. I wish I knew math. Then I could say :)=\): or some kind of fancy equation and everyone here's so smart someone would know what kind of lines I was seeing. And someone else would know what they are. But, sadly I have to use my words. I feel so limited trying to describe radiating rays that drift solely down, curving concaving to follow each other like sheets of paper falling onto a stack seen from the side. Also the gravity of the procession moves, at times it's downward, at times it's tword the tear duct, at times tword the outeredge, or inner top edge of my eye. They can go a different direction different nights, but the hold the same pattern once they've started for the entire resting period.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    A
    La Texican,

The lines you see may be ocular migraine variants. They are created by patterns of rhythmic neuronal firing in the visual cortex. The can occur by themselves, or be part of the aura that leads up to a migraine. Hildegard of Bingen had them, and interpreted them as angelic messengers. I know lots of people who have them, and I don't see a problem with having personal interpretations anywhere along the whole spectrum from odd physical artifact to spiritual manifestation.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM