Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    amz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    I have been following this forum for a while. This is my first post. I need help to see what I need to do if apply for Davidson.

DD7 tested at school for WASI (Wechsler Abbreviated Scale of Intelligence), part of SB-5 and WIAT-III. Here are the scores:
    WASI: VIQ 133, PIQ 154, FSIQ 150.
    SB-5: Quantitative Reasoning 147
    WIAT-III: Total math 160, Total reading 135,Total written language: 141.
    Her WIAT Total math, WASI PIQ and FSIQ fit the criteria for Davidson. But will WASI scores or part of SB-5 skills accepted? The school psychologist is very sure about the alignment of WASI and WISC. The school is not willing to test more. Should I go ahead and get her tested for WISC-IV or send in the application as is and hoping for the best? For all you Davidson parents out there: is getting in Davidson really worth the application effort? What are the real benefits?

A
    amz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks a lot, Dottie. I have not looked at the application forms, but imagine it's a lengthy process. Davidson is such a prestige honor. I think I will try with her existing scores.

The worst case is that they ask you to send in more information. The acceptance criteria is two out of three (IQ, achievement tests, portfolio work). Do you have example work that you'd also include?

The application isn't that bad. It could be done in a weekend, maybe a bit longer if you're assembling a portfolio.

Good luck!

JB

A
    amz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thank you, JBDad. I did not plan to include example work. The examples listed on the acceptance criteria seem to reflect those on achievement, which I think already covered with WIAT score. What kind of examples would show her strong IQ areas such as Matrix reasoning, block design and numeric operations? Sudoko, puzzles? I think it's wise to include something else, but afrid incluing wrong might hurt the chance.

Anything that shows ability "several years above" their age. In our case, for a mathy kid, we have plenty of pictures of him as a kid doing "different" things and examples of him completing math work. Also IQ scores aren't everything. For whatever reason they don't characterize our DS7's ability very well. But clearly he's an outlier with math.

Feel free to continue to ask questions.

JB

Originally Posted by amz
    Thanks a lot, Dottie. I have not looked at the application forms, but imagine it's a lengthy process. Davidson is such a prestige honor. I think I will try with her existing scores.
    Davidson Fellows is a giant prestige honor, but the kids work for that. Around here, no one has even heard of Young Scholar Program. Is it different where you live?
    Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    As far as I know, me being just a turkey lurkey, not even involved in the program.. The DYS is a master resource, one with live people who can counsel you and your Childs teachers on how to and where to offer different lessons to your child in your local school, or to help you advocate if needed. To help you find the resources to get your kid an appropriate education at their level, just like others have advocated for all the kids at the other end of the spectrum. That kind of advocate is available for a price, it's free at DYS.
    I think they help find scholarships to summercamps lol CTY for profoundly gifted kids. I think there's a chatroom for the kids to keep in touch with each other, and one for parents. And there's potluck dinners that I've been told I have way underestimated by calling them potlucks. I think they bring in like scientists from Cernland in Geniva to give physics lectures to the kids. And, yes, even better, it's still a bar-b-que.

I don't think there's any prestige, well, I don't think it will get your name in the newspaper, except there's kind of a prestige or authority from having an outside expert approach your local school staff with a plan to provide an exceptional education for your gifted child at their readiness level. This would settle the "pushy parent" suspicions and get you more adequate services. More than that, the schools already know when they've got an exceptionally bright student. I don't think most schools know what they should do with them. It must be nice for the school staff and the parent to talk to an experienced educational counselor that deals with exceptional children day in and day out and recognizes some common signs indicating a large part of what the individual child might need. I see the point. I think DYS counselors advise homeschoolers as well.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    A
    amz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    The acceptance criteria speak for the selection. It's more elite than local talent search program. I heard of Davidson Young Scholar Program through DD's GT teacher. However, she has never taught a student who got in the program. I don't know how well known the program is in general public. Nobody really likes to talk about the giftness of their kids.

A
    amz Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks, La Texican. I am fine with the school so far. They want her to skip a grade plus some group and individual time with GT teachers. The free resouces seem nice. We may need them later. I just try to learn as much as I can.

Originally Posted by amz
    The acceptance criteria speak for the selection. It's more elite than local talent search program. I heard of Davidson Young Scholar Program through DD's GT teacher. However, she has never taught a student who got in the program. I don't know how well known the program is in general public. Nobody really likes to talk about the giftness of their kids.

That's great that your GT teacher has heard of YSP, and 'gets' that it's more difficult (for most kids) to get into than the local talent search program. If only to impress the GT teacher, I would encourage you to fill out the application. It will provide her with 'support' if she ever has to fight to give your child an appropriate education. Even if you get some indication that your child is 'near YSP' after filling out the application, then that is support for the path the GT teacher is attempting. Plus you may have to move at some point, or the helpful GT teacher might get moved to a different school and then you might need the support yourself.

LOG is a relatively unknown concept, and lots of gifted programs are a 'one size fits all' sort of affair - and if you don't fit that's your problem! So giving GT staff a more nuanced view of the needs of gifted kids is one of the ways that all gifted kid benefit from YSP.

But I try to keep straight awards that come from hard work and a job well done (talent) from special educational needs (gifts.) I'd like to see the potential of all children turned into talent as much as practical, including gifted, highly gifted, and profoundly gifted kids.

Of course the prestige factor is fun and helpful when sibling rivalry get kicked up inside MY head! As in: "Take that gifted-identified sibling!" Other than that, I've never ever gotten anything but 'you must be crazy lady' kind of looks. ((pout)) Of course, that may say more about me than YSP, and it probably does. Intensity - not crazy!

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing