Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 262 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #89531 11/13/10 06:51 AM
    OP Offline
    I am considering beg. algebra from EPGY this year for ds10. Just wondering if this was offered last year and anyone have opinions on how it went, or for that matter so far this year?

Can a student just go straight to that or do they have to go through some pre-test routine?
    thanks

OP Offline
    ok, to answer my own question, for anyone else considering this:
    no pre-test is needed to get to the algebra class, it is 'stand alone'. as to the class itself, it starts at what they call 8th grade level, but there is some review:
    prime factorization, working with fractions, working with exponents, etc. but these sections are pretty short so far, I suppose because ds has been able to get all right. I seem to recall if any mistakes are made there are 'consequences' in the form of repetition of exercises.
    It appears to move slowly according to the big picture chart I see of progress, but he is at least tolerating the pace so far.

The main issue with Algebra is learning the various functions (linear, quadratic, etc) and how they are applied to real life situations.

I seriously doubt that most 8th graders really understand this, but it becomes important in later math.

Exponents and other skills must be understood to understand the functions. In good curriculums, these have been discussed before, but I think younger students don't really catch the significance.

OP Offline
    yes, I think we are both eager for ds to get to something more than dealing with fractions, the exponent work is pretty new to him, and hopefully the equations, linear, etc., will be coming up soon, but consider he is at '8.03' in the whole program it might be a while, days-wise. But all in all he hasn't hit that many sessions so I can't complain they are inundating him with repetition. (knock wood)
    this is tough, where the second he learns something, he doesn't want to be burdened with demonstrating or practicing it. I think I have heard that is a common problem with gifted kids, but maybe I am remembering wrong. Anyway I am hoping this will move along quickly enough to keep his interest.

Last edited by chris1234; 11/26/10 01:57 PM.
    My daughter learns the basics easily - then loves the problem solving parts of Algebra. This keeps her interest.

She is in Geometry now and does not care for the proofs very much. I didn't like that part either.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM