Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 410 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    DS's grades were split evenly between As and Bs. For each B, I asked him if he was satisfied with a B in that subject. Writing was the only B he was happy with, and the rest he said he'd like to raise (and I agreed completely).

Fortunately, I got quite a bit of mileage out of that desire when it came time to complete study guides, etc. this weekend. I'm putting a LOT of emphasis on practice and trying to teach some study skills, and I can use all the help from internal motivation that I can get!

Originally Posted by ginger234
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    We might be getting some slight surprises, ds has hit a new low with (not) remembering homework. The teachers are 'preparing' the kids for middle school by having them remember their own stuff. For ds, he's decided that means 'write nothing down'. Uh, ok.

That is a big part of my dd's lack of turning in homework. After 2+ years of middle school & less than a year until high school, we have realized that she has got to figure out another method of remembering her homework as well as turning it in. The planner method is just not the ticket for her. To be honest, is never was for me, either. wink We are experimenting with various types of sticky notes right now (a suggestion from a co-worker). If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. She is very tactile, artistic, musical, etc.

Please let us know how it goes with the sticky notes, I am curious how you will implement this!

A
    alp Offline
    A
    I would be very interested in hearing any techniques that work.

My DS10 is in 5th grade now and has all the same issues. From remembering the homework to bringing it home to turning it in the next day. We are at a point now where we can get him to do his homework if he remembers to write it down and bring him home but then the homework never gets turned in and he gets 0's. This is really bringing down his grades to C's as he aces every test. The school is not being any help as they are taking the hard line that he needs to figure this out as it will only get harder as he gets older.

We tried giving him a bright orange folder which is supposed to only be for homework. We are now double checking to make sure all the homework is in the orange folder and we worked it out with the teacher that she is just going to collect the entire folder. So far it has helped s little but we are still fighting with issues where he is forgetting to bring the homework or his books home.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM