Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Min
    We lucked out with a preschool near a University. Against all odds more than half of the other students were at least MG.

We live blocks from a major university and had this experience with both our kid's preschools. They were very used to having gifted kids through their doors. It was never really said, but hind sight, it was quite obvious. I guess I wouldn't count on it, but you might be pleasantly surprised. Where professors send their kids might be a good endorsement for you. I'd just be sure to keep all your options open as you go into it in case you need to make a change. ]

Good luck!

Originally Posted by newmom21C
    I've talked to DH about this and it would probably be my preference (financially it wouldn't be an issue). However, he's really against it because we won't have time to interview someone ahead of time and wants child care lined up immediately. There is a possibility that MIL could stay with us for a bit when we first get there which would be by far my preference (she's wonderful with DD) but we won't know for sure if that is remotely an option for another few weeks.

Are you even getting a week off to move into your new home before you are back at work full time? I smell a rat. Tell DH that he has "Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget" because yes it would be great to have your DD in a daycare that suits her and she loves and thrives in site-unseen (humor alert) but no, you aren't some magical being that grants wishes to husbands. Reality alert. Reality alert. You and your DH are expecting way too much of you.

Hopefully your MIL will come and bail you out or you can skype interview nannys. Maybe your local friends have some leads? If your mom gut is telling you that moving and DD starting school and mom going back to work full time is too much all at once - believe yourself, and heed your warning. ((Unless you are a proven overworrier, in which case you should ask a mom you trust if you are biting off more than a person can be expected to do. If you ask me - yes, yes, yes.))

Of course, if the university preschool that is nearby will let you pay by the week, and you don't have to commit to the full semester, then there is no harm in signing up and hoping for the best. It might be fine, or at least fine for a while. What worrys me it that in our idealism, we Gifted Moms sometimes think that we can do it all, with not much raw materials, perfectly.

((shrugs and more shrugs))
    Grinity

I don't know what the official developmental chart expect or language development, but I do know that bilingual kids are expected to be slow, not faster. I think I remember that my (PG)son had his first 2 word sentence right on his 2nd birthday: "I Runded!" So cute! But my guess is that there is a big difference between 5 words in one language and 3 in another, and 2 words in a solo

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Min
    We lucked out with a preschool near a University. Against all odds more than half of the other students were at least MG. At the same time, I caution you that the value of the experience was largely the result of the teachers, and their attitudes.

This was our experience. The university based preschool was a fit on paper, but the teacher was not. In the end, we see our DD thriving with a particular teacher rather than a particular program.

DD is in a modest program with a warm, insightful, seasoned teacher, who took DD into the pre-K program when she was less than 2.5. The pre-K class size is small (6-8), and the teacher has a daily toddler program, so she understood DD's mind and nervous system.

For us, the teacher made all the difference.

Originally Posted by kimck
    Originally Posted by Min
    We lucked out with a preschool near a University. Against all odds more than half of the other students were at least MG.
    We live blocks from a major university and had this experience with both our kid's preschools. They were very used to having gifted kids through their doors.
    This has been my experience too. Hanni's preschool is right next to campus, and in her room at least half the kids have parents who are professors or computer geeks. The next room up has two kids of colleagues in my own department!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Over two years ago we had to pull Mr W(2y9mos) out of his daycare when he was 4 mos old.

We found a nanny and a great one at that in less than a week - She was a retired pharmacist and her husband was a surgeon. And though Mr W has moved on to Pre-K, Mrs E is still a major part of his life. They have a special bond. She is major reason he is bilingual. She comes by once a week and he is learning to read in her language.

I'd go with the MIL to buy you more time to look at alternatives.

We'd really love to but, unfortunately, having her come is completely out of our control. We will found out soon whether or not it's possible but at the moment we really can't say one way or another. frown

Knowing where we're moving to it's very unlikely that we'll be able to find an educated nanny. It's still a developing country so many people are just not educated at that level. That's not saying we couldn't find someone wonderful but it might mean that DD could run them raged (as she already does with our young, fairly well-educated babysitter right now!!).

We did not specifically state Mr W's abilities, or our needs, but asked questions to test whether the staff were rigid thinkers or open and flexible and really looked at the kids. We figured we could reason with the latter.

What kind of questions did you ask??? That would be really helpful!

Within two days of Mr W attending, they knew he was very advanced and asked is if we knew. Today I caught the director watching Mr W reading.

She told me they have added a new set of elementary classes and have two five year olds in with the Grades 1-3 and it was working out fine. I know what she was thinking - moving Mr W up. I've seen the classrooms for these new classes. ( I think Mr W would be fine in there come Spring once he matures a bit more.)

You need fertile ground to plant the seed. The more fertile the better. Find that fertile ground by looking for it!!

--

You need to visit the school.

As for "gifted," I'd go visit the classrooms your child would be in as well as the classrooms one and two steps beyond. And watch the kids. For us, it was an eye opener. The kids Mr W's age looked drugged in comparison.

And when we took Mr W and let him visit each classroom, it was fun to watch the staff's reactions. When Mr W was 18 mos old, we were getting the guided tour of the school and he was in the 4-5 year olds' class putting a 40 piece puzzle

The school we're looking at doesn't have separate classrooms by age (that's actually a big preference for us since DD's done very well in a similar daycare situation this summer). It stops after kids get to 4 as do almost all schools here. Now if we went the preschool route we could get a preschool that is attached to a school but those are more segregated by age and don't tend to bump kids up to the next level (from my understanding at least).

Visiting would definitely help... but again, it's the problem of schools filling up while we're not there. We arrive right at the beginning of the semester so it's right when everyone will be starting preschool too.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by JaneSmith
    I enjoy this board immensely for the opportunity it gives me to hear from people so much more informed than myself.

However, I have noticed that people seem to speak of "Montessori" schools with no distinction made as to whether the school is AMI, AMS, or not credentialed at all. This makes a HUGE difference. I have visited Montessori schools that are probably safe daycare environments, but I wouldn't rely on them to educate my dog.

In the US, most good Montessori schools start at age 3. Some do have programs for younger children, but it's rare. I think in Europe it's more common to have something called a creche for younger children. I don't know anything about that.

The most typical Montessori classroom is children ages 3-6 and the traditional curriculum covers 3-12, grouped 3-6 and 6-12. I think it is important to point this out, as your child will not be 3.

My children have attended three Montessori schools and I have toured and considered four others. In my experience the AMI schools (I've seen two) are excellent. The AMS schools are mixed (I've seen two - excellent and mediocre) and the non-credentialed schools (I've seen three) are not very good. I would much rather send my kids to a high quality non-Montessori school, than a school that uses the label but has untrained teachers and a mish-mosh of the Montessori materials.

So if you haven't already, I would advise you to research the Montessori schools with this in mind.

If you move in January, couldn't you sign up for the daycare for January - summer and then re-evaluate for fall? If your daughter turns 2 in January she will not be that close to the upper age limit at the daycare.

Also - don't forget to consider the value of your convenience. If your commute to daycare is shorter, that's more quality time with your daughter. If the daycare has longer hours, that's less stress for the family if you have a project to finish with a deadline on occasion.

I guess my main point is that your daughter is not old enough for school. Just because something is called a "school" doesn't make it superior to a high quality daycare populated by professors' children.

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell the Montessori schools don't have any sort of accreditation there and are not associated with any particular group so it's really hard to tell...

The daycare idea is what we're thinking of at the moment because it would buy us some time in this regards but it also has the problem that if it's a bad fit we'll be stuck with it for half a year. frown

What we've been seeing from the schools is that many will pick up your kid from your house and take your child to school. The daycare does that too. Although the daycare is the closest and we're not sure if we want to use the pick up option...

OP Offline
    kimck, seablue, and Meg that's really encouraging. Our hope is that there we'll be other kids close to DD's level (or in that language at least). She actually does really well with play with other kids but she's never been in an environment when she's been around kids in her age group for an entire day 5 times a week so it's so hard to say how she'll react.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Originally Posted by newmom21C
    I've talked to DH about this and it would probably be my preference (financially it wouldn't be an issue). However, he's really against it because we won't have time to interview someone ahead of time and wants child care lined up immediately. There is a possibility that MIL could stay with us for a bit when we first get there which would be by far my preference (she's wonderful with DD) but we won't know for sure if that is remotely an option for another few weeks.

Are you even getting a week off to move into your new home before you are back at work full time? I smell a rat. Tell DH that he has "Champagne Tastes on a Beer Budget" because yes it would be great to have your DD in a daycare that suits her and she loves and thrives in site-unseen (humor alert) but no, you aren't some magical being that grants wishes to husbands. Reality alert. Reality alert. You and your DH are expecting way too much of you.

Hopefully your MIL will come and bail you out or you can skype interview nannys. Maybe your local friends have some leads? If your mom gut is telling you that moving and DD starting school and mom going back to work full time is too much all at once - believe yourself, and heed your warning. ((Unless you are a proven overworrier, in which case you should ask a mom you trust if you are biting off more than a person can be expected to do. If you ask me - yes, yes, yes.))

Of course, if the university preschool that is nearby will let you pay by the week, and you don't have to commit to the full semester, then there is no harm in signing up and hoping for the best. It might be fine, or at least fine for a while. What worrys me it that in our idealism, we Gifted Moms sometimes think that we can do it all, with not much raw materials, perfectly.

((shrugs and more shrugs))
    Grinity

I don't know what the official developmental chart expect or language development, but I do know that bilingual kids are expected to be slow, not faster. I think I remember that my (PG)son had his first 2 word sentence right on his 2nd birthday: "I Runded!" So cute! But my guess is that there is a big difference between 5 words in one language and 3 in another, and 2 words in a solo

I really doubt we could do the skype thing... it's a developing country and so we might be hard pressed to find someone who knows how to use skype (DH's family is pretty well educated and they have a hard time using it!).

Our local friends don't live that close to where we'll be living. One family has kids that are quite a bit older and the other uses their family to babysit (very, very common there, most people live in walking distance of relatives).

On the other hand, it could be that my start date for work is pushed back a bit just with all the complications of getting my work visa etc. So if that is the case this will all be a mute point. There are so many things that depend on other little things that it's made this whole move hard to plan!!

FWIW, DH actually complains that I normally don't worry enough about things. smile

That's a good point about being bilingual. I think it's easy for me to get stuck in our own family's microcosm and forget stuff like that. Today DD just started skip counting (in English) and she's not even two yet so I know must be deluding myself at some level.

Skip counting before age 2!!!!! ((giggle))
    Luck for you intelligence doesn't depend on educational level - in a way it's easier to find highly intelligent people to do daycare in a society where education is rare. Ask the local friends, everyone has cousins, even if they aren't right were you are living.

I'm thinking the University daycare is actually a good possiblity due to the open age thing, although by my calculation, there is only a single year of headroom, yes? (if they leave when they turn 4)

I love the idea of pick up service. That would have been heaven for me!

I also hope that things all 'fall into place' with MIL and work visa. Sometimes the Universe is on your side!

love and more Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    OP Offline
    Skip counting before age 2!!!!! ((giggle))

I don't know... maybe it was just a fluke? She had some ice cubes in a bowl and she was counting them today "two.. four..pause...eight". I thought it was just an accident at first but then she did it again.

Luck for you intelligence doesn't depend on educational level - in a way it's easier to find highly intelligent people to do daycare in a society where education is rare. Ask the local friends, everyone has cousins, even if they aren't right were you are living.

Definitely! Education level is just one thing to consider when hiring someone definitely not the be all end all.

I'm thinking the University daycare is actually a good possiblity due to the open age thing, although by my calculation, there is only a single year of headroom, yes? (if they leave when they turn 4)

I love the idea of pick up service. That would have been heaven for me!

I also hope that things all 'fall into place' with MIL and work visa. Sometimes the Universe is on your side!

love and more Love,
    Grinity

Yeah, we're only looking for something that last about a year. Once she turns 3 we'll probably put her in a preschool that is associated with a school because that is the easiest entry point for some of the schools we're looking at there. Obviously, there's a lot of disclaimers with that statement since we have to visit the schools, she where she's at etc. etc. Homeschooling is illegal there after age 6 (although that might change to age 4) so we're really hoping to find a good school we can stick with but we shall see!

Oh, and the transporation thing is really cool but we want to check it out first and she what it's like before we sign up for it.

Thanks I hope so this time. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM