Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I am looking for some guidance for future math placement of out DS8. Some quick background, DS8 is in public school, grade skipped to 4th grade. This seems to be a good fit because he writes like a 4th grader, and he also fits in well emotionally and physically. A future skip may be needed though. The issue is math; DS8 last year in 3rd went to 4th grade math which was not challenging at all. The ES let him continue in self directed math using EPGY, this was ok but not well monitored and had little input from the teacher, or a peer group. He completed 5th grade doing this. DS8 would prefer to be with a peer group in math rather than a self directed online program. This year we have asked to send him to 6th grade math and the middle school (1 block away). I just received the answer back last night, he is to go to 5th grade math at this time, (They did test him and he scored 90% on both the 4th and 5th grade assessment tests). They have however left him a doorway, the principal at the MS is concerned about future placement, based upon this pace he will complete HS math by 10th and not have the correct number of math classes for college. He also is concerned that we will need to provide daily transportation for DS8 to the MS for the next two years, and again for the HS for two years. My question is has anyone found solutions for this at the MS/HS level. I have been asked to meet with the HS VP about this, and I hope to bring something to the meeting besides, we will figure it out when it comes up. Note, cut and past from word has helped my spelling but not my grammar.

Val Offline
    My son was in the same situation: 8, in 4th, doing 6th grade math. He was in a small school, and there was another student in 5th who was ready for 6th grade math, so a teacher taught both of them.

My question is, why do they have to provide transportation if the middle school is only a block away? Can't he just walk or ride his bike? Is there a highway in between, or would he just walk down the street to the school?

If they can't let him go alone, there must be someone who can spend 10 minutes getting him there and someone else who can get him back. Doesn't sound like it should be a big deal to me.

Is there a community college or university where you live? If your son ages out of the school's math curriculum, he could take statistics or extra calculus or whatever. I live in California, too, and high school students can take community college courses for free here.

I'm also not sure why the school thinks he wouldn't have the correct number of math classes for college. He'll have taken them --- it's just that he'll have taken them in 7th grade rather than 10th!

Val

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you everyone for your quick response. I am trying to meet the HS VP today, as per ES and MS principal�s suggestion. In regards to transportation, I am willing to provide it if the school cannot, budget may be an issue, as well as we have never done that before. We live in a city of about 100k in the Los Angeles area, with a school district that has about 22k in it. In regards to MS distance, its about 2 blocks, but DS must cross a moderately busy street. There is no way DW would allow him to walk by himself. It would be great if the School would just walk him their and back, or schedule him 1st period where I drop him off and the school transport him just once. With a school district this size they must have had this issue before. The hardest part, if they allow it will be scheduling. I am not really worried about his math requirements for college. I would like to think these things can be worked out. And in regards to beyond HS math, we have lots of CC�s, nearby. I am just hoping to place him in a synergistic environment that will keep him interested and engaged. The online course is still an option, but he prefers personal interaction. If anyone has tried the CC in HS was their any issues with the HS allowing it, and did the math requirements become an issue by not going the more traditional route?

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I explainded that getting a HS deploma may not be in the cards for DS to my DW last night. Its a hard thing to look at because of the overall experance of a HS graduation. I still am hopefull that we do not have to take that path.

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, I agree that HS is long way away and who knows what will actually happen, and where DS will want to go. I will look into sans diploma.

L
    L
    My middle school was miles away from the high school, and I just reported to the resource room for math or worked on it independently (having a class was more fun, but I've always preferred working independently on something interesting than being bored). In addition, I started taking college courses my freshman year of high school and was still able to play sports and have a full high school experience (and have a nice start on my bachelor's degree). My high school simply counted the high school-level courses I had taken towards the graduation requirements (not that having a diploma would have mattered, as I was already partway through college when I graduated). Perhaps this would be an option that the high school would consider...

F
    F
    I tried hard for my 6th grader (elementary here) to go to the middle school for Algebra last year. The middle school was a block away without any major roads to cross. I explained that I would pick up or drive or do whatever was necessary. We were not allowed to do it due to some policy somewhere that did not allow elementary students to attend middle schools. This year she attends a charter school that is both a ms and hs combined. They also did the freak out of not having the math credits for high school which I still do not understand how that all works... but we are just taking it a semester by semester at this point.

I myself do not have a high school diploma and left at 10 grade. I was admitted into a university without a diploma based on classes taken originally as an extension student. The thing that I miss is I do not have any high school reunion to go to. I did not miss the prom or stuff like that.

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Some better news, but not there yet. Met with VP at HS, and a student counslor. Seemed a bit early for DS8, but they asked to meet with us. It went well HS is ok with him comming in early, and will credit his record for any HS work done in MS. They just wanted to make sure we knew of the issues a subject acceleration may create. Next we need to meet with MS principal to see if he is ok, and find awilling math teacher, then make a schedule that will work out. The good thing the ES and HS are on bord, now just the MS to go. Thank you for all of your comments and sugestions.

Edwin,

Great news! Glad things look to be moving forward. I've followed the thread with interest as DS8 is subject accelerated in math to 5th and another jump may occur next year which will mean he will run out of math at the HS too. Our district has faced this before on occasion and the kids take community college classes (I always worry about that a bit, because I generally tend to think of the level of teaching at CC as not so great, but I am sure good teachers are everywhere).

Cat

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM