Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 269 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    N
    N
    I'm going to say what I've said before, to others who have posted for similar reasons. I know from experience that being PG can be isolating. It can make you feel different, lonely, and misunderstood. You can't change that, absent finding other PG folks who share your interests, ideals, and personality, and who want to be your friends.

But your emotions (anger, resentment, etc.) toward people who are less intelligent than you are are not something that you're stuck with. You can change your reaction to your environment, and I hope that you will work on doing that, because living in a world full of people you hate must be very depressing. If you address that problem, I think you'll find that life becomes much more tolerable. smile

You sound SOOO much like my husband ach!
    My brother is pg as well; (they both knew each other at the same high school for big brained people, funny enough).
    I have a pretty big brain, but tend towards the optimistic - oh that person over there just doesn't understand! I am not pg so I don't really get the MAJOR separation issues but see it a lot when it comes to these two men in my life. As my husband put it just this morning, regarding lack of educational fit and social fit, it can be so psychologically painful that it is equatable to physical pain; so much so that he wouldn't want to burden anyone else with a (detailed!) description (outside of family, of course).
    He tells me about this stuff and he has had ok luck finding a few folks to hang with but no one that you would really say is as smart as he is. (Oh, and since he isn't in the sciences, finding jobs that are a good fit... well it is a bit of a challenge, too).

My brother has found a good place too, after much MUCH up and down. He has phd in nuclear physics, completed studies to become an m.d. also, but finally ended up getting a job where he can just do research, design, etc., etc., some bio-something or other job, which sounds like a great fit for him. His wife is adorable and very smart, I don't think pg, but she is gifted and they spend their days speaking different languages together, raising a sweet little girl and doing their own thing, which I think is a good ending/beginning.
    Just some thoughts, early 20's is not the end of the road you will more than likely find folks you can 'stand to be around' and who can stand you. laugh

ps, dh is definitely a curmudgeon!

Last edited by chris1234; 10/04/10 11:31 AM.
    A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    Can you say more about 'been run horribly ragged' - does that mean that you spend a lot of time on the topic? does it mean that your hopes get lifted up and then dashed?

It's at the point where I wish I didn't need people at all, more often than not - I certainly cherish the ones I have who actually enrich my life, such as my best friend and my parents and the handful of professors I've had, but others? It's psychological pain that's almost like chronic physical pain, and dosing oneself up on painkillers, unlike chronic physical pain, isn't the way to go about dealing with it.

Originally Posted by chris1234
    My brother has found a good place too, after much MUCH up and down. He has phd in nuclear physics, completed studies to become an m.d. also, but finally ended up getting a job where he can just do research, design, etc., etc., some bio-something or other job, which sounds like a great fit for him. His wife is adorable and very smart, I don't think pg, but she is gifted and they spend their days speaking different languages together, raising a sweet little girl and doing their own thing, which I think is a good ending/beginning.
    Just some thoughts, early 20's is not the end of the road you will more than likely find folks you can 'stand to be around' and who can stand you. laugh

I would totally beg you to put me in touch with your brother because I need mentors especially in the sciences, especially people who are profoundly gifted, like I need food, except I have no idea how one would go about a cross-sciences mentorship, since I'm in biology and your brother's a nuclear physicist.

Different languages are awesome. I'm somewhat fluent in Romanian, myself. Any Romanian speakers? Vorbesc romaneste, un pic. laugh

A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by kcab
    Put more pressure on your parents to allow you to travel abroad. It's surprisingly freeing to have a socially acceptable reason to be different. I also found that it was very interesting and challenging to try to live in a place where I didn't know the language. YMMV, I know a few people who hate travel. If you can't go now, go later, but immerse yourself when you go.

I'm trying to do it real, real subtly (Mom has articulated that if she catches me traveling abroad before the end of undergrad, she will stop supporting me in any way, shape or form) - she knows and appreciates my reasons for wanting to, but she is fiercely paranoid and I've run into a wall trying to figure out why she has this wacky sense of anxiety.

(Neither of my parents are exactly all there, to varying degrees. Did I mention my father is probably going to die in the next 5-10 years, and he's only 60, because his lungs, brain, and bladder are in such crud shape and he's almost entirely disabled, and did I mention my mother is - partially justifiably because her family life as a kid sucked - EXTREMELY anxiety-ridden? They've gone over wills with me and talked life insurance and power of attorney. On top of the darker aspects of being profoundly gifted, I have family issues, and I'm in my early twenties - entirely too young for either parent to keel over, and yet my father will probably die, at the latest, two years after I finish grad school. Whoop-de-friggin'-doo. Although, then again, who DOESN'T have family issues?)

A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by no5no5
    But your emotions (anger, resentment, etc.) toward people who are less intelligent than you are are not something that you're stuck with. You can change your reaction to your environment, and I hope that you will work on doing that, because living in a world full of people you hate must be very depressing. If you address that problem, I think you'll find that life becomes much more tolerable. smile

Somehow, doing this only strikes me as 'Deny it and the pain'll go away'. It doesn't seem like it respects the facts.

And I strive to know reality, no matter whether it is as great as unicorn farts or as cruddy as world genocide.

Originally Posted by ACh
    Originally Posted by chris1234

I would totally beg you to put me in touch with your brother because I need mentors especially in the sciences, especially people who are profoundly gifted, like I need food, except I have no idea how one would go about a cross-sciences mentorship, since I'm in biology and your brother's a nuclear physicist.

Different languages are awesome. I'm somewhat fluent in Romanian, myself. Any Romanian speakers? Vorbesc romaneste, un pic. laugh

I can definitely find out whether he would be game for that, and will hope to pm you soon (few days) to let you know either way. I owe him a ring anyway!

A
    ACh Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by La Texican
    I do like the alternative medicine. �I like that it starts with a healthy diet and fresh air and exercise. �I try the least invasive solutions first and try to help the body help itself. �I just gave birth in a jacuzzi with a midwife because I could. �I would have been grateful for modern science if there was an emergency. �I try to raise my kids as natural as possible.

Here's the thing, though - these things are actually recommended by medicine, barring the midwife, and that's not even really off-the-wall that much. I'm talking about the stuff such as attempting to treat cancer with large doses of vitamins or pumping chelation solutions into your kid to try to 'cure' their autism. That is what I refer to.

Ever heard of natural products chemistry? You'll find that a lot of the stuff we have in medicine comes from nature.

I sort of agree with you about nuts being a nuisance. �I don't like the nuts that are just a little off, only in their head. �I love the totally nuts that act it out, like the people that hike the Appalachian trail or learn to fly on trapeze. �And it's just personal taste, but I love old hippies. �Their hearts are huge.

I'm talking more about the unhealthy sort of nut.

I'll bet chemistry is a really fun project. � �Sounds like you're getting a kick out of it. �I don't like hearing your classmates aren't paying attention. �Maybe that's why they keep recalling batches of Tylenol off the shelves.

And about half of them want to be pharmacists. (I'm the only one who plans to go to graduate school.)

Seriously, next time one of them says 'lol i want 2 go 2 pharm skool' I'm going to tell them 'Fat chance, sucker, you can't even make aspirin'.

I'm glad you're making friends here. Everyone needs a place to feel at home, even if it's only virtual.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by ACh
    Originally Posted by no5no5

Somehow, doing this only strikes me as 'Deny it and the pain'll go away'. It doesn't seem like it respects the facts.

And I strive to know reality, no matter whether it is as great as unicorn farts or as cruddy as world genocide.

Well, that's your interpretation. Personally, I think that resenting ND people for not being as smart as you are is like resenting a dog for not being able to use silverware. It just doesn't make sense. Yes, they are intellectually below your level. No, that doesn't mean that they deserve to be the objects of derision.

If you are PG, you simply can't expect ND people to be the same as you. I get that it can be frustrating trying to communicate with ND people. I have experienced that myself. And I'm not saying that you can simply make your feelings go away. I am saying that you should work on the issues that cause those feelings. Certainly they are related to being PG, but they do not follow inevitably from being PG, and they are not something that you cannot overcome.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ACh
    I'm talking about the stuff such as attempting to treat cancer with large doses of vitamins or pumping chelation solutions into your kid to try to 'cure' their autism. That is what I refer to.

I define the problem as being a lack of evidence-based medicine. I'm suspicious of "treatments" that don't fit this description.

Originally Posted by ACh
    And about half of them want to be pharmacists. (I'm the only one who plans to go to graduate school.)

Seriously, next time one of them says 'lol i want 2 go 2 pharm skool' I'm going to tell them 'Fat chance, sucker, you can't even make aspirin'.

I think it might help to look at the larger cultural context.

K-12 students are constantly assailed by messages telling them that College is the route to higher earnings! The news media, educational establishment, and even the political establishment all send this message. Many parents say the same thing (I've even seen it pop up on this board on occasion).

These days, college isn't seen as a place where you go because you're bright and you want to learn stuff. It's seen as a route to earning more money than you would otherwise. Crass, but unfortunately, reality.

You can't really blame people for buying into this message given that it's ubiquitous and apparently true.* You also can't really blame people for not having an IQ as high as yours. They can't change who they are or how they were born.

If you think differently than more than 99% of the population, you need to make a different kind of effort at finding people who think like you. For example, google the Prometheus Society or the Triple Nine society.

Val

*I say apparently because the issue is more subtle than having a BA or not. Talented people tend to earn more because they're better at solving problems, not necessarily because they have a BA. For example, a person who's a really, really good electrician will probably earn more without a BA than he'd earn with a BA if he was, say, a marketing manager of average ability. Someone without a BA who learned programming in the Army might be a better software developer than someone else with a BA who's just average (or above...). It all depends.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM