Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 272 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    I do want to apologize if I have offended anyone. I truly hope that I am not an elitist snob. I, too, was the first family member to finish college although I did come from a fairly middle class family. Education was definitely valued in my home as well.

I definitely don't think you were initially being offensive or elitist. You voiced what I'm sure many have thought but never discuss. It was good for you to post this thread because it opened the conversation and hopefully others who have commented or even just read this thread will come away from this topic with more compassion for others. Maybe they will stop and think that the person on the other side of that text just might have had a harder education/upbringing and instead of looking down on them (which we all do at some point or other) look beyond it and be supportive.

This is my goal and I hope others will take this stance as well.

T
    T
    Hi Cricket ,
    I am one of those bad spellers. I recently had 2 grand mal seizures. I do have a Master's Degree in Social Research but after those seizures I just cannot spell. I forgot how to spell some simple words. It is crazy. It is embarrassing.
    So, I guess I would say sometimes the apple does fall far from the tree and now my DS7 spells better than I do.
    Just thought I would post because sometimes there are some unobvious explanations for things.

Last edited by traceyqns; 09/28/10 08:02 AM.
    T
    T
    Hi Cricket2,
    I bet you didn't expect this many responses. Your post is not offensive at all, just wanted to say that. I used to think the same thing. I am more open minded now because of what happened to me. It is ironic for me to now fear judgement when I was once that person who judged intellect based on spelling. What comes around goes around lol

Albs-
    That was a very well-written response. I'm sorry you have felt ashamed of the spelling issue. Hopefully, in the era of spell-check, you will be free to express yourself without fear.

K
    K
    In a similar vein, I remember a conversation in college that has stuck with me for years. I went to an Ivy league school so presumably most people were by some measure "intelligent." My friends were discussing prejudice based on regional accents, i.e. if they talked in their native accent with colloquial grammar, people assumed that they were less intelligent. The people involved in the conversation had heavy accents and were from the South, NY/NJ and New England. They envied my "neutral" California accent.

Later, I visited the home of one of these friends. She lived on Long Island and came from a working class family. At college, she had been working on neutralizing her accent. When I was there, her mother yelled at her for "putting on airs" and thinking that she was better than the family. She really felt torn between two worlds and literally had to speak two different versions of English depending upon where she was.

To a certain extent, I treat online grammar as a regional accent. I also happen to be married to a gifted dyslexic. My DH can spell the same word three different ways that are phonetically correct in a single paragraph. They all seem correct to his brain. I recognize my own prejudice when I see things like "me and my husband said it was rediculous." I still cringe but I try to look for the content.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM