Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 146 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    This is a wonderful thread to read. It's reassuring knowing your kids isn't the only one who does odd things. Yes my children have also fallen out of chairs, hair twirling, lip licking, and rubbing their clothes or sheets.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    so much for the not falling out of chairs lately, DS6 fell pretty hard off his chair tonight while doing his math homework, LOL. He wasn't hurt and I couldn't help but laugh after I asked if he was okay. Thankfully he laughed too.

Cricket - I forgot to mention DS hums and sings all the time too...when he is by himself working hard on something. Like doing contraption computer game things, or drawing and coloring designs and most math things. It is hilarious when he is in the other room and singing loudly (or in the shower). I do think they learn to mask things as they get older. DS has been working on the whisper repeating and has been doing better with it. Last year he mentioned he was trying not to do it because kids had asked him why he does it. His teacher does mention that he sings/hums in school some. Thankfully he can't whistle yet but when he learns he will definitely be all over that. I was thinking about starting him with piano or something to keep his fingers busy. I played violin for about 12 yrs.

B
    B
    Tks for the thread! DS falls off his chair, pinches his cuticles, and rubs the side of his lips to no end. I really worry about the chair falling bit (had a massive bump on the head but that hasn't stopped him). The teachers keep complaining but he just can't stop.

DS has sensory issues, so I thought that all this is sensory seeking? OT in the last 2 years hasn't slowed him down though!

S
    OP Offline
    S
    DS used to have some sound sensitivity issues that lasted years (from birth until a little over a year ago). The sound issues went away, which surprised us. He didn't qualify for OT last year, but they tried some little things to have him be more still in his seat so he didn't move as much...but wasn't really successful.

F
    F
    I love this thread too. My ds 4 is a lip licker as well as needing to touch objects with his feet - put him in an empty room with only one object and he'd manage to stand on it in preference to anywhere else in the room.

He also has one other quirk I haven't seen here yet - chewing on sleeves and collars so they end up sopping wet and stretched. Not sure why but the weird thing is I did exactly the same thing as a child, though I also used to suck my hair until my teacher in 3rd grade told me I'd go bald.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM