Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 106 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by momma2many
    i did think about what you said...about those kids maybe getting more attention or help bc of this group that they wouldn't get otherwise. but she specifically said they would move on once my son got it....so i'm not really sure how those 2 things could co-exist. i don't know....
    The obvious resolution is that they will only move on once *all* the children get it - and that they will pick the other children so that they can be pretty confident that your son isn't going to be held up by waiting for them. I hope your meeting clarifies everything! I'd also be hopeful that it could be a good thing all round. E.g., they might be saying to these parents "we're starting a small pullout group with enrichment work, and we think your child would enjoy it and benefit from it". These other children might then be "ringers" in the sense that they didn't themselves have problems sufficient to force the school to make special arrangements for them, but once in the group they'd all be equal members of it. At any rate I hope it's something like that!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Originally Posted by momma2many
    she specifically said they would move on once my son got it

I don't understand what 'move on' means.

I don't understand what 'once my son got it' means.

And no matter what they say - the more time they spend with any individual child, the better the odds that they notice if a 'ringer' child truly has special educational needs, and the more motivated they will be to meet the needs of the 'ringer' child. If the child doesn't have special educational needs, then no harm is done if the extra attention only lasts a little while.

Schools want to meet the learning needs of all children. The hard part is getting the schools to notice that a child has special learning needs. Don't blow this over some idealism, ok? We tend to get distracted by our idealism and general distrust (as a group)and overlook the 'here and now' because it's 'messy.'

Of course it's ok to ask questions and want to know how this effects the other kids - but try to act like you trust these people, ok? They are used to being treated like 'the professionals' and usually they earn that right.

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    i like that colinsmum. thanks

grinity i think she meant that once my son demonstrates he understands whatever she was teaching, they will advance to the next level, even if that means another child at the table does not have the same level of understanding as my son. i would hope they would pick children who are ready to advance quickly....bc they will need to in order to keep up....even though they will be older. i hear what you are saying. i do trust them. i think i just have some questions and i think i am still just.....in shock. i do have a list of questions i want to ask just to make sure that we aren't about to cause any huge problems in our community. they have said more than once that they have never seen anything like this (my kid) so i do have a small fear in the back of my head that they don't know COMPLETELY what they are doing just because they have not done THIS before. very few kids are early admitted in our district (they actually encouraged me to red shirt my kid when i first called about early admittance.), and they usually do not also require gifted services until they are in the 3rd or 4th grade. so it is new to them also. i agree.....getting them to notice my son has special learning needs took a year. i am so very very thankful for what i have been given....so i will tread lightly. smile

hopefully by this afternoon i will have a few more answers, and a solid iep plan everyone agrees with. smile i'll let you all know.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    so.....i asked a bunch of questions....and i think i hear her saying that the other children invited to the group are also children in need of enrichment. so there will be a benefit to them as well. i asked what the parents and teachers will be told about these students and was told the same thing....that it is an enrichment opportunity. i suppose i will have to watch a session in action once to really understand what it looks like. so i will plan on that....and in the meantime....i think it is going to be okay. *fingers crossed* everyone else in the meeting seemed to think it was ok....so i am choosing to trust them as well....and again...plan to go see it an action and see what it looks like.

i really really appreciate all the comments. thank you again for so much to think about.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM