Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 145 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    M
    M
    Try Mensa smile

A single thread or even a series of threads on a board is not representative of all people on said board. It's possible that you could still find people to interact with there by searching for threads that are not so off putting to you.

It's possible to like a person and even respect them without agreeing with them. If you still find that hard, you need to find a specific niche group where everyone will agree with you (ala the ivory towers you've disparaged).

Either way an interest group that fits you may be a good place to start. There are plenty of organizations out there where you can work on projects with people who share an interest with you in X. By having a common interest, you have a starting place for exchanging information. The interest group that my DH, DD and I are involved in is very accepting of different ideas and different types of people (many of whom are highly intelligent). That makes it easy for a new person to join and have fun, however it also means that new people are expected to be open to others who may not share their philosophies or views.

Really, I'm not trying to attack you. (Just in case you're wondering.) This isn't really about you. It's the same advice I'd give to anyone and, in fact, have given to others. You can't "find your people" if the people around you don't get your jokes. There has to be something in common to joke about for them to get your jokes.

S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    LOL! Does that site pay you guys commission or something?

Just for s***s and giggles I'll look at the site some more. But I will not engage in conversation with Marxists, 911 conspiracy nuts, new anti-Semites, people who believe in the Illuminati, new world order or other global conspiracies or in Big Foot.

Well, the way I see it, you've got nothing to lose...

Have fun!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Syler
    Just for s***s and giggles I'll look at the site some more. But I will not engage in conversation with Marxists, 911 conspiracy nuts, new anti-Semites, people who believe in the Illuminati, new world order or other global conspiracies or in Big Foot.
    Stars? Smiles? Shoes? Sheds? Forgive my ignorance.

And I agree, the old anti-Semites are far better conversationalists.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    J
    J
    Originally Posted by Dandy
    Stars? Smiles? Shoes? Sheds? Forgive my ignorance.

And I agree, the old anti-Semites are far better conversationalists.

This is one of my father's favorite sayings... but uh, none of the above. s, letter that comes after g, letter that comes after h, letter that somes after s, s... a puzzle for today! yay!

LOL! Does that site pay you guys commission or something?

LOL!

Okay, I admit it.... I've never even been to the site in question. smile

I just know that every site had a few crazies that post but don't *quite* cross the line into banned behavior.

Maryann

S
    Syler Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Well, I joined in on a couple of conversations. We shall see how they unfold. I think you guys might be right about not letting a few bad apples spoil the bunch.

If anything, the site has sparked my curiosity of whether or not there is a link between high intelligence and mental disorders. One person there, I will not name names, seems to be schizophrenic. I also wonder about intelligence and the ability to think - I'm not sure they always go hand in hand.

We'll see.

So... is it any better than you feared?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM