Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    I love the quote. I am what I wanted to be since 3rd grade (a vet) yet I took everything I could in college because I felt like it was my "last chance" to be immersed in different subjects. Don't ask me why I felt like it was my last chance, I have no idea! But I am so thrilled that my son has such a HUGE variety of interests. I hope he keeps it up and keeps changing majors til he has tried them all (as long as I win the lottery ha ha ha). Nan

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I think many of us learned a whole lot about ourselves, our spouses, our parents and siblings, etc., etc. from our research to try to help our kids. I know I did, and it's a common comment here.

That's so true! I wish I had used my college experiences to learn more about myself. "Strategic" is my #1 strength-finders attribute, and I spent life until I was 30 singularly-focused. I *knew* I was going to be a corporate lawyer when I was 12 (a joke, since you don't know what it really involves until you are one!), so my college majors, extracurriculars, jobs, even law school classes were all focused on that. (Why, oh why, did I voluntarily suffer through Secured Transactions and 3 semesters of tax law when I could've been having fun with Shakespeare & the Law??) I had a wonderful career before I gave it up, but probably want to switch gears and get involved with something related to gifted/early education when my children are off on their own someday.

At this point, I am thinking of a "third career" as a Head Start volunteer or gifted education teacher. Our family has been so incredibly blessed with these gifts, and I'd like to be able to continue to give back with all that I'm learning. I don't see that happening for another 15-20 years, though. As my husband recently put it one evening after we had been talking about DSs' education, "it takes a lot of energy to be the parents of gifted children!" LOL

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    C
    Clay Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Haha. I have to laugh at myself. On the one hand, it's been great hearing all the comments. On the other hand, while I'm reading part of my brain is thinking stuff like "Vet! How neat would that be!" and "Tax law! Secured transactions! Man, I'd love that s3$%." (Shakespeare and the law I could do without, however.) Grateful, I hear you about the third career. Though, in some ways I think my ideal job would be to do something like "Pretender" (not that I'm anywhere near that level, but it would appeal to my *interests* if not my abilities...) But, honestly, I'm happy with what I am doing now -- I just saw myself/my career journey in that quote about indecisive gifted adults.

I think one of my bigger problems now is how to balance my family and career goals. It occurs to me that that's hardly a gifted issue, BUT perhaps it's a bit worse for the gifted population because our kids have unique needs that can be hard to meet and because we can have unique drives and needs to personally achieve.

Originally Posted by Clay
    I think one of my bigger problems now is how to balance my family and career goals. It occurs to me that that's hardly a gifted issue, BUT perhaps it's a bit worse for the gifted population because our kids have unique needs that can be hard to meet and because we can have unique drives and needs to personally achieve.

I completely identify with this! The reason I started writing is because it fits with my kids' needs and still fulfills me.

You know, it's something of a personal crusade for me to get smart, well-educated SAHMs to cultivate their personal interests. My theory (worth exactly what you paid for it!) is that a lot of the helicopter momming today exists because the moms have cut themselves off from their interests. I think that's really unhealthy and leads to obsessive parenting that's not good for anyone.

Obviously one cannot easily career-jump from veterinarian to tax lawyer to whatever else. But I think there's nothing wrong with exploring a number of options over the course of a lifetime. And I think becoming an amateur expert at whatever interests us is a good way to experience all those different callings that we can't really answer.

That's what writing does for me. I'm just hoping that I might also have found a way to get paid for becoming an amateur expert at all the things that interest me. wink

Kriston
    J
    J
    Boy do I have this problem... and it doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist on top of it. So not only do I not know what I REALLY want to be when I grow up, I take the "easy" road, picking jobs WAY below my ability because I fear failure when something SEEMS difficult.

Sigh.

J
    J
    Originally Posted by Clay

This is where I am right now. I think I may know the direction I need to go, but it requires school/certifications - with needing to work full time, be a mom, be a wife, etc... it's hard to balance the time and attention (that and I think I make too many excuses to just do it).

E
    E
    JJs Mom,
    I'm right there with you. I work a cube job 40 hours/week that pays bills but isn't particularly challenging or intersting. (Dilbert syle company). I'd love to go back to school, but doing so would mean that DS would no longer get the extra curricular activities that keep him sane both due to monetary and time constraints. So I immerse myself in books of all types in my spare time and enjoy watching him explore and find his own feet smile

H
    H
    Oh my, that�s so me.

I chose my first career because it has vicious pay. After a couple of years of non-interesting works, I went back to school for another degree.

Now I am at my second career, which requires a series of very challenging exams. I am done with the exams, and I am bored in my spare time.

G
    G
    On a very lighthearted note, I thought of this thread this morning during my new and VERY humbling experience in a Zumba class. I took our discussion to heart and decided to "branch out" from my treadmill and explore some different options. smile It was a beautiful reminder that I have plenty in life left to learn, and that there are lots of unique ways to train our minds and bodies to do new things. I am also willing to concede that I am most certainly NOT rhythmically gifted, but it sure was a lot of fun! smile

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    C
    C
    This is why I've always been awed with dd11's focus. While I have never known what I wanted to do with my life or have switched around a lot, she's had her career plans mapped out since she was three and has done very little waivering. I have to wonder what one could do with that kind of focus coupled with her ability. I guess that I'll see in 20 yrs or so.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM