Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    DeeDee #80640 07/19/10 07:45 PM
    R
    OP Offline
    R
    Thanks kimck, how nice to have such an understanding and flexible teacher! We are not stuck with this school. I really do not want to homeschool, but it could be an option for us, so I feel like I do have an ultimate backstop.

P
    P
    Not having a kindergartener let alone a 2E kindergartener I probably shouldn't comment -- but I do have a fair number of reports on kindergarten in VA from friends, some teachers, and they pretty much agree it's a "academic" experience with rules and sitting at desks in rows doing 20 minute blocks of one thing and then another on the teacher's schedule. I put academic in quotes because it's only academic if one is actually at that level, of needing to learn how letters sound when they get combined, etc.

I would, if it was me, file an intent-to-homeschool form for this year rather than a delaying-kindergarten letter, then I would jump the few hoops for that and send them to any school I chose -- perhaps something where they could progress academically but leaving enough time for ABA type social skills time. A private K if I could afford it. A mixed age Montessori half time perhaps with the other half of the day ABA type social skills work? Or a combination of schools, like your preschool plus a homeschooler's one day a week type school with interesting classes to help with getting used chair sitting but in a less restrictive environment where the end result didn't actually matter at all (ie where no one decides to hold them back because they don't follow directions, etc).

Then next year if sending them to K seems ridiculous, if they've made social gains too, then send them to 1st, you will have some tangible evidence from the home-school K year (or from a private/alternative school K year) to show they should be going into 1st. On the other hand, if in a year they are still struggling socially and aren't bounding that far ahead academically then maybe K will a good fit overall with accomodation for the gifted side.

Lastly it may be a little hard to make a exact analogy with your own or your DHs experience. In Fairfax the norm is red-shirting and most kindergarteners are academically prepared as well as a bit older than one would expect. There are likely some very bright, very socially apt, very prepared kids going into K this year, kids who might well do okay in 2nd grade if placed there. Their parents happily send them to K knowing they will win the spelling bee and so on and get into the Fairfax gifted high school and then into a good college. Many bright kids your daughters' age will start K next year.

Polly

Originally Posted by RobinsNest
    I was worried especially about A, as this was her first experience in a typical preschool environment, but as it turned out there were several kids in the class with issues a lot worse than ours (several with completely clueless parents), so it was fine for the most part. Until the end of the year, when B started refusing to sit for circle time and just generally giving the teacher a hard time. I figured this is evidence she is still socially immature and it gave support to the plan to wait an extra year to start K.

Wow - I propose we sing a few round of 'For she's a Jolly Good Parent' to you and your DH. You've been through quite a ride, and I'll bet you've had very few folks that you could share everything with to help along the way. I love seeing your thinking and hearing all the stories from folks in response.

In general I like the approach your husband takes of 'met their needs now, worry about next year next year. But what worries me is the rough going at the end of the last school year. It's quite possible that it was a lack of social skills, but what if it is due to lack of challenge? Many (of course not all) gifted children are 'extra-sensitive' emotionally, and act in ways that are labled 'socially immature' even though that extra sensitivity might lead to great art or huge humanitarian acts.

Remember the time when I was about 8 years old, and my family almost missed a vacation because I really wanted to 'shake hands' with each of the trees on our lawn before we left? That kind of behavior could easily drive an adult nuts, yes? The car is packed with all the siblings and suitcases, and I'm in the backyard doing high 5s with the tree branches. And I was supposed to be the responsible big sister - good luck with that one!

Anyway - it's the individual teacher and classroom that matter the most. 1/2 day programs are less of a problem than full day programs. Play-based programs are less of a problem than academicly orriented programs when the child already knows the academics. I love all the suggestions here, so keep exploring and learning as your go, and let us know how it turns out, ok?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations