Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 181 guests, and 32 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    DD loves DR Seuss and P.D. Eastman, She also Loves the Frog and Toad books, and Little Bear. She just read Mouse Soup tonight. That was a good one. Her rewards for things is getting to go pick out new books at the book store and she LOVES it. She is now though into picking out "grown up books" She has moved into 2nd and 3rd grade chapter books, but I am really having to watch thoise for appropriateness for a early 3 year old. She also picked up one of my quilty pleasure romance novels the other day and I walked into the room and caught her reading "She trembeled, her hands behind her back.....because he did that to her" Umm yep, time to start hiding them LOL or I will be explaing way to much LOL

DD6- DYS
    Homeschooling on a remote island at the edge of the world.
    G
    G
    Val, my ds2 loved the letter section on Starfall when he was just starting to recognize his letters, but neither he nor I are fans of the sound-it-out beginning reading section. I wish they would read it properly, then sound it out, then read it properly again. By only stretching out the sounds, I think they lose context of what the words are saying. I can do that better away from the computer with real books.

amazedmom, have you looked at Magic Treehouse? DS6 started the animal ones just after his 3rd birthday and fell immediately in love. He read all of them as a 3-4 year old, and while I confess that I didn't read every one before/after him, I never found any that were ianppropriate for this age. Best of all from a mom perspective, the content is highly educational too! smile

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2
    B
    B
    I second the Richard Scarry books. DS loved it before he was two - I think The Best Nursery Rhymes ever was a hit, as were the others. At the time, I wasn't thinking of reading, but he surprised us by reading out loud page after page. It definitely was whole word recognition. Anyway, we did the Dr Seuss Books much later at 5. Those definitely helped in phonics recognition. We had no other readers as DS didn't like them. Books by Julia Donaldson were also wildly popular here, as were Pamela Allen books.

http://www.juliadonaldson.co.uk/picturebooks.htm

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dus-stripbooks-tree&field-keywords=pamela+allen&x=0&y=0&ih=9_2_1_0_1_0_1_0_0_1.88_119&fsc=-1

M
    Mam Offline
    M
    Amanda. I was just checking some for a friend (she wanted early chapter books).

Some ideas (some are simpler but she might like them, depends on her interests).
    - Henry and Mudge. Very early chapter books, many kids like them (kid and dog adventures, VERY age appropriate).

- Cam Jansen series. School aged kid but age appropriate. Some 3 years old will understand enough of the school setting to make more sense of it, some won't (regardless of LOG, more to do with life experiences, exposure, etc.)

- Nate the great (simple detective like).

-Bailey School Kids. AGain, school aged children, more mischief.

- Rainbow Magic Fairies. Beware of these! They are the most formulaic ever but they are highly addictive to many girls. The good thing is that there are a ton of them...

We had a few favorites, Golden books were big with my dd5 when she was learning to read. I had kept all my dd25 Golden books from when she was a child and so I had as least 100 books at different reading levels from Disney type to The Pokey little puppy. Both dd5 & dd7 first read from Storybook Treasury of Dick and Jane and Friends. It's a hardcover book of about 200 pages of many stories I thought it was a perfect first reading book, they didn't spend much time with it but because it was simple but they learn how to read with flow right from the begining if that makes since. I don't remember the name of the series but my dd5 also liked Good dog, Rover and Silly Pig, it introduced 50, 100, 200 words depending on reading level. Dr. Seuss and PD Eastman were big favorites too!

I like the Sharon Gordon books for very early readers.
    http://www.amazon.com/Big-Opposite-...p;s=books&qid=1279478493&sr=1-11

T
    T
    We've fallen in love with the Elephant & Piggy books by Mo Willems (the Knuffle Bunny & Pigeon guy). Very simple early readers, with the best pictures ever--the characters are wonderfully expressive and the books are hilarious.

We've been checking them out from the library, since they are a little pricey for how short they are. I think there's around 12 books in the series.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM