Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 358 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I definitely don't think that you need to worry at this point. But I do want to ask if you think that your DS is a visual learner in general? I ask because if so, you could introduce a number line and/or a number grid (numbers 1-120, say). I know these are used in 1st grade, at least, to make counting, adding and subtracting ("jumping") more salient. Also, I don't know if this is helpful to you or not, but when I was little I was learning to play the piano and began to associate the number line with the piano keyboard, such that middle C was 0 and the numbers to the right of that were positive numbers and the numbers to the left of that were negative numbers, and the black keys roughly represented decimals. Perhaps this general idea could help visualize counting up/adding and counting down/subtracting without the need for "word stories"? Although, I have to say, it is usually more difficult for kids eventually to understand word problems than rote memorization, so I really think your DS will have a leg up in math later.

Last edited by mnmom23; 07/14/10 04:34 PM.

She thought she could, so she did.
    mnmom23 #80438 07/14/10 06:57 PM
    M
    M
    This probably won't help; but we (DS5 and I) use RightStart Math. Is that what you are using? It does the Go Fish 10 game. We homeschool now. My DS is very VSL. Your description of your son being able to figure out the word probelms but doesn't seem to get the 3+1 is so much like mine. Wow, is it frustrating! My son got the Go Fish game I think only because I had a written cheat sheet next to our game initially while we were playing, until I thought that he was memorizing the combinations, then I took the sheet away. We played it as a memory game in the car, etc; but it is really making it memorization. He does not retain it unless he understands it most of the time though, unless it has been rotely practiced a lot. I think that my son needs to understand it. I have tried telling him that +1 is the next number, and several other ways. I have not tried a number line yet though. It will be my next step. We use an abacus or any tactile visual items and he is great; but just in his head, he doesn't get +1. It seems so frustrating when he seems to get so much more. Like I said, he is very VSL; and I know that it does have a lot to do with it, through my reading about VSLs. My son is 2E. I am waiting to have him tested again at age 6. I had him tested with an inexperienced-with-kids psych; although recommended by our ped. And it was a disaster; so it was not helpful. I found out what I already knew; but nothing specific. I know that something is up with mine; but I haven't figured it out yet. It may be auditory as well??? My son also has expressive language disorder; and is improving steadily...about a year or less behind now developmentally. His speech therapist works on a lot of auditory things with him; although he has not been diagnosed with APD. They cannot test until they are 6. The more that my DS can get combined in his head, the better he understands. He actually needs to learn through understanding; although he can learn songs and things like that through repetition. Mine is half way through his 1st grade curriculum in LA and Math, at about 2nd grade reading. He struggles with language and math rules, etc too. I think that it is best to just make sure that they don't see our frustration, keep things light with games that they make up, etc. Maybe they just need to think about it in lots of different ways. My son seems to learn some things in aha moments, and other things right away. It's so strange. I just wanted to let you know that I sympathize. Let me know what you try; and I will do the same. Best wishes and good luck!

Mom0405 #80447 07/14/10 08:57 PM
    I think the problem is developmental, moving from concrete problems to abstract. If I remember it correctly my kids too could answer "If you have 5 cookies and eat 2 of them, how many will you have left?" earlier than "How much is 5-2?" Who cares how much is 5-2? Cookies, now that's a different story wink

Keep changing 5+2 into word problems and let him play with manipulatives. It will all come together one day.

LMom
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs