Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 154 guests, and 39 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    CAMom #80203 07/12/10 02:42 PM
    K
    K
    The year that I coached Destination Imagination (formerly Odyssey of the Mind in these parts) was our worst in terms of being over-scheduled. I co-coached then DD9's team. We met after school at my co-coach's house. Although it was a friendly atmosphere for my 2 younger DCs, it was another day out of the house for them after school. It turned out to be a huge negative for then DD7 who was struggling due to some 2e issues that we hadn't identified at that point.

I guess I would caution that coaching DI is a huge commitment and to consider your other kids (if applicable). Ideally, I would recommend recruiting your own team so you have an idea what kind of behavioral issues may be present and whether the group has the desire to work together. I also would find out what level of support is offered by your school to the coaches. I previously had coached at the K-2 level and did not find it to be as onerous as the 3-6 level.

knute974 #80512 07/16/10 02:45 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    From the posts above, overscheduling seems to be partly defined by how much the parent has to schlep around. If I had 2, I couldn't have DD in the programs she is in.

There was a mother of one of DD's classmates last year who is a ped GI. She works at a hospital one hour away and has 4 children. We were on a field trip together and talking about activies. Their piano practice was limited to 15 minutes because that is what she could help them do. DD does scales for 15 minutes. She has to do them all then contrary.

So it also depends how much time the parent can give to activities.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM